M4 weight

kilyung

More of a thought exercise but curious what others have tried to lighten their M4. I weighed my unloaded M4 at exactly 8.5lbs. Not bad but wondering if I can get it to my similarly equipped 1301T (6lbs 15oz). Probably not as the barrel is most of the weight difference. 

M1014
Ti 7-rnd mag tube
NC +2 mag extension
MOA Precision sling mount
IWC scout mount w Modlite 18350 + click cap
stippled handguard
A&S trigger housing w FFT trigger group
Scalarworks SRO + JW BROS
IWC rear sling mount
6-pos recoil tube
Limbsaver pad

To reduce weight but keep functionality comparable: swap SRO/BROS for RMR, A&S for stock or aluminium housing, swap out IWC/Modlite mount for GG&G pic w/ pistol weapon light, remove IWC rear sling mount. I’m thinking I can get down to 7.5lbs. Is anyone close with similar functionality?

If you want to cut weight, you're going to want to swap out for a carbon fiber magazine tube. Then delete the iron sights. The polymer trigger housing is an ounce or so lighter than the A&S Engineering frame. Putting a Briley titanium choke in will reduce weight about a fraction of an ounce.

Cutting a whole pound off is going to be tough to do without going to a 14" model.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Anon4755 said:

I am just curious what the purpose is of reducing weight.  To me, more weight helps with recoil. 

I like a heavier gun as well; but I'm not carrying it around it all day long. Easier to swing and point on a lighter gun to be honest.

• Upvote 1

“weighed my unloaded M4 at exactly 8.5lbs. Not bad” 
Note where I said the weight wasn’t bad? I’m no stranger to humping 13lb+ firearms. I frequently carry a scoped SCAR 20S. No harm in seeing how lean I can take my M4. Besides it’s a fun exercise. Sounds like 8lbs might be the practical threshold. 

8 hours ago, kilyung said:

“weighed my unloaded M4 at exactly 8.5lbs. Not bad” 
Note where I said the weight wasn’t bad? I’m no stranger to humping 13lb+ firearms. I frequently carry a scoped SCAR 20S. No harm in seeing how lean I can take my M4. Besides it’s a fun exercise. Sounds like 8lbs might be the practical threshold. 

Weight vs. Performance.

Could I run an Arisaka M300 body and hyperthrow M300 head and shave 2oz off the front? I sure could. I'd lose my IR capability, though. Could I run an M300V instead of an M600V? Yup. Then I'd get more shadow on the barrel and FS, which is annoying especially under NODS.

Could I run a Ti or CF mag tube? Yup. It would shave some ounces, but it would flex more under firing and accuracy and durability would technically be affected.

Could I run a polymer trigger guard and save an oz over the milspec ones I prefer? Yes, but I prefer aluminum as that is what Aberdeen vetted the gun with. That said, I cannot tell you the polymer is worse and support my statement.

Could I run a RMR or Holosun and not an Aimpoint Micro? I could, but then my light transmission under NODS would suffer.

I've looked at all the things, and thus far, my weapon is as light as can be without making compromises I do not wish to make.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

Weight vs. Performance.

Could I run an Arisaka M300 body and hyperthrow M300 head and shave 2oz off the front? I sure could. I'd lose my IR capability, though. Could I run an M300V instead of an M600V? Yup. Then I'd get more shadow on the barrel and FS, which is annoying especially under NODS.

Could I run a Ti or CF mag tube? Yup. It would shave some ounces, but it would flex more under firing and accuracy and durability would technically be affected.

Could I run a polymer trigger guard and save an oz over the milspec ones I prefer? Yes, but I prefer aluminum as that is what Aberdeen vetted the gun with. That said, I cannot tell you the polymer is worse and support my statement.

Could I run a RMR or Holosun and not an Aimpoint Micro? I could, but then my light transmission under NODS would suffer.

I've looked at all the things, and thus far, my weapon is as light as can be without making compromises I do not wish to make.

In regards to your comment on titanium and cf tubes.  I was under the impression carrier comp titanium tubes are the go to? Or is steel better durability wise?

On 1/25/2022 at 1:26 AM, Unobtanium said:

I know carrier comp uses grade 9 3AL-2.5V Ti which is above commercial grade.  Same stuff used in aircraft applications.

Are you saying you think it flexes under recoil enough to affect accuracy and durability? Anyone with a CC tube experience this?

Edited by Kahamu

Never experienced any noticeable mag tube flex when shooting my M4s, I own 3 and all have CC Titanium mag tubes..but there’s certainly insignificant-residual flex during recoil whether titanium or steel tubes.  Not exactly sure how residual mag tube flex could/would be affecting accuracy when shooting..unless during recoil there is significant enough mag tube flex that results in impacting or affecting the barrel.

• Upvote 2

Just now, BamBam said:

Never experienced any noticeable mag tube flex when shooting my M4s, I own 3 and all have CC Titanium mag tubes..but there’s certainly insignificant-residual flex during recoil whether titanium or steel tubes.  Not exactly sure how residual mag tube flex could/would be affecting accuracy when shooting..unless during recoil there is significant enough mag tube flex that results in impacting or affecting the barrel.

Sounds like a mooch point between the two, then.  Thank you. 

From memory in the past, when I tighten the mag cap on a Ti mag tube, its kindof like a jar lid. You can get it reeeeeaalllly tight. Squeeze in another click or two. On the steel tubes, it just dead stops. Ive also noticed on Ti tube guns with an optic, at 25m, I can observe slugs walking vertically as the barrel heats. Not on steel tube guns. Using just iron sights, this is hidden, as the FSP moves, too. Need to test this with receiver only mounted sighting system. YMMV, and my sample size is not large enough to leave the realm of anecdotal  

3 minutes ago, Unobtanium said:

From memory in the past, when I tighten the mag cap on a Ti mag tube, its kindof like a jar lid. You can get it reeeeeaalllly tight. Squeeze in another click or two. On the steel tubes, it just dead stops. Ive also noticed on Ti tube guns with an optic, at 25m, I can observe slugs walking vertically as the barrel heats. Not on steel tube guns. Using just iron sights, this is hidden, as the FSP moves, too. Need to test this with receiver only mounted sighting system. YMMV, and my sample size is not large enough to leave the realm of anecdotal  

So who do you recommend for tubes then?