M4 damaged out of the box

asza90

Picked up my new Benelli M4 on Friday that was shipped to my FFL and everything looked good after a brief inspection. I brought it home and assembled the shotgun when I noticed the collapsible stock was damaged. There’s a rather large 5 inch scratch on the bottom of the stock as well as a dent and with another mark to the right side. I contacted Benelli’s customer service and the woman I talked to said that it was pretty much my fault for not performing a proper inspection before it was transferred but she stated I could send the shotgun in and it might get fixed. She stated the current turnaround time for a new shotgun is a month. I know this is a combat shotgun and it’s going to get scratched and dinged, but I wasn’t expecting a $2k shotgun to already come like that from the factory. Am I overreacting or should I send it back to Benelli where it might get fixed? Thanks guys.

PXL_20220521_025152424.thumb.jpg.256bd2628dde94ad08c33147008dfc4b.jpgPXL_20220521_025223136.thumb.jpg.ab986d9ff71014ebe310438c91c952ec.jpgPXL_20220521_025250041.thumb.jpg.1a7d2d78159fab0dc25e4921d45e2f50.jpg

• Like 1

It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me since it’s on the underside, but everyone is different. If you shoot it like it’s meant to be used, that will the minor blemish in the grand scheme of things. 

It still sucks no doubt, but do you want to be without if for a month or longer for a scratch? Only you can answer that question. 

• Upvote 1

personally I think that's absolutely BS

LMT gets away with alot of this as well, every single lower / upper I have has some QC machining marks etc. Everyone says its fine and excuses it, probably how they get away with this bs in the first place.. actually it IS, how they get away with it.

Have them send you a new one, thats ridiculous..

Imagine buying a new house, jewelry, piano, car or boat / vehicle and its all jacked up and its expected for you to just take it..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I told the costumer service representative that I would be willing to ship them the damaged stock (since it slides right off) for a replacement but she wasn't sympathetic or understanding and once again implied it was my fault. She stated I would have to send them the entire gun and then they would decide if it was covered under warranty after the month long process. Their warranty states:

"10-year Limited Warranty: Your new Benelli firearm is warranted for 10 years from date of purchase against any defect in materials or workmanship in the metal parts of your product."

Sounds to me like this should be covered under warranty or am I wrong? I thought this would be an easy process but I'm pretty displeased with the customer service from Benelli so far. Are you guys aware of anyone from Benelli who can help me out? Appreciate it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, asza90 said:

I told the costumer service representative that I would be willing to ship them the damaged stock (since it slides right off) for a replacement but she wasn't sympathetic or understanding and once again implied it was my fault. She stated I would have to send them the entire gun and then they would decide if it was covered under warranty after the month long process. Their warranty states:

"10-year Limited Warranty: Your new Benelli firearm is warranted for 10 years from date of purchase against any defect in materials or workmanship in the metal parts of your product."

Sounds to me like this should be covered under warranty or am I wrong? I thought this would be an easy process but I'm pretty displeased with the customer service from Benelli so far. Are you guys aware of anyone from Benelli who can help me out? Appreciate it.

Really needed to check it before you bought it…That damage won’t been that hard to miss.And I doult you get very far thru Benelli…I don’t think they care anymore.Look thru threads and see how there customer service was with others .Maybe return to whoever you bought it from?

Edited by rubicon20032003
  • Upvote 2

I'm gonna be in the minority here and say it doesn't look that bad. It's plastic not bluing so it's just cosmetic, rub a little shoe polish on it. It's gonna get dinged with use, honestly, you should have spotted it when you picked it up and Benelli has no way of knowing you didn't do it. "Those aren't scars, they're beauty marks", I'd just keep it. 

• Upvote 2

This is totally the fault of the buyer to fail to fully inspect the shotgun.

After the forms are filled out and the transfer made - its yours, and if you failed to inspect it,  then its on you for not exercising proper due diligence 

Edited by Dkay67
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

I'm gonna be in the minority here and say it doesn't look that bad. It's plastic not bluing so it's just cosmetic, rub a little shoe polish on it. It's gonna get dinged with use, honestly, you should have spotted it when you picked it up and Benelli has no way of knowing you didn't do it. "Those aren't scars, they're beauty marks", I'd just keep it. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but that is aluminum… 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, RxArms said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but that is aluminum… 

Yes, you are right, my mistake, it is aluminum. My remedy remains; a little shoe polish and call it good. I wouldn't sweat it too much, guns get bumps and dings. Sure looks like the gun was standing on its end and something (another gun?) fell over on it causing the scratch then the dent. 

Probably happened at the dealer/gun shop would be my guess. Pisser they did not mention the scratch/ding. 

If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer, I'd suggest shooting/enjoying the gun and getting the part cerakoted down the road. There are good folks here who can advise on taking it apart. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, CobraBG said:

I wouldn't be happy with it since it is new. I would really be angry that I hadn't noticed it while doing the transfer. 

Have you shared the pictures with Benelli?

I'm pretty upset with myself that I hadn't noticed it during the transfer. The gun was still in the box and wasn't assembled yet so I looked everything over but somehow missed that. In hindsight, I should've taken everything out of the box and assembled it but I just didn't want to lose anything. I'll try not to make that same mistake again. I just sent Benelli a repair request with the pictures so hopefully that will help.

13 minutes ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

Yes, you are right, my mistake, it is aluminum. My remedy remains; a little shoe polish and call it good. I wouldn't sweat it too much, guns get bumps and dings. Sure looks like the gun was standing on its end and something (another gun?) fell over on it causing the scratch then the dent. 

I've been trying to determine what could have caused that damage but I think you're right. I guess I'm just one of those guys who is OCD about scratches and dents. Trust me, I wish I wasn't lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

Sure looks like the gun was standing on its end and something (another gun?) fell over on it causing the scratch then the dent. 

38 minutes ago, D'zaster said:

Probably happened at the dealer/gun shop would be my guess. Pisser they did not mention the scratch/ding. 

I agree! I doubt it left Benelli that way. The LGS was probably hoping you wouldn't notice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CobraBG said:

I agree! I doubt it left Benelli that way. The LGS was probably hoping you wouldn't notice.

Well I actually bought the shotgun from KYGUNCO who are pretty reputable and had it shipped to my FFL. Everything was still boxed and wrapped in plastic when I got it. No dings to the box or anything. On another note, have you guys seen how much these stocks cost? Checked ebay and the stock/grip is going for $700-$900. What's the deal?

Talk to the people you bought it from first.  They just made some money off of you and likely want to keep you as a customer.  

bought a High end AR from an online store and they were very accommodating when the gun went on sale a week later.  Got like 500 bucks back.  Just saying I’d start there.  If not I’d probably be like what ever and accept my part in the situation and touch it up and call it a day.  

Edited by Ben elLes
Elaborating

Definitely sucks for a brand new $2K shotgun. Minor dings & a long scratch on the butt stock certainly won’t affect cycling or the business-section of the the gun. Having said that, even if you would have properly inspected and caught the damage at your FFL & refused to accept the gun as others have pointed out, then you would have had the wonderful pleasure of being held hostage by Benelli and their recent for-shit quality control plague that’s ongoing for the last 18 months.

Customers always have to closely inspect new firearms before accepting delivery & you are expected to fully cycle live fire various rounds to ensure proper function, standard procedure of course. But the new-norm these days is if the gun has failures & ongoing malfunctions..it’s part of the “break in period” and/or you’re doing something wrong & must defend/fully explain your competence.

I’m dealing with this now with a new Shadow Systems pistol I purchased. Their customer service is supposed to be absolutely the best, but in the last year they’ve released 3 new pistols and have grown considerably, so I’m going on a month now with phone & email messages with only a single response back requesting pics of the malfunction which I sent 3 weeks ago but radio silence since..will soon be feeding the SS pistol to my Benelli M4!  Rant complete.

11 minutes ago, CobraBG said:

Yeah, "most" customer service is weak!

Not all though, I bought a RealAVID multi-tip driver set (highly recommend BTW) last year. The handle has a light in it which did not work in mine. I called, told them and they sent me a replacement, no charge no questions asked. They let me keep the defective one as well, they've got my business for life.

Just to give an update, the gun is currently at my FFL getting ready to be sent back to Benelli. I also sent KYGUNCO (the website I bought it from) an email about the issue to see if they can do anything about it. I really appreciate everyone's input and I'll keep you guys updated.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1