Benelli M4 -- Reborn

StrangerDanger

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rocket,

Do you plan to use the GearSector offset mount for the X400? If so, the modification would be identical. The rubber simply needs to be trimmed. You can see the modification in this photo:

c007.jpg?t=1300254862

c009.jpg?t=1300255185

Removal of this small piece of rubber does nothing to affect the fit of the M80 rail. My GearSector mount is overhanging the end of the rail slightly to push the light as far forward as possible. The cross bolt is on the first picatinny rail slot.

I'll try to get a shot of the M80 with the light removed.

another silly question. Did you choose the left side to mount your light cuz that is your none trigger hand or does you house have a lot of right turns?

Only problem I have with mounting on side is what if that side is where a corner is? alot of me or gun has to get in the open to light up things or am I over analizing things?lol

I believe you are under analyzing such situations.

When space allows you should be standing off from the physical wall of the corner with sufficient distance that you would be illuminating what is on the other side of the corner in sectors, as you "pie" the sector for threats.

When done in this manner, the side that you mount your weapon on is irrelevant.

If you are in such a confined space that you must somehow stick the barrel out into the passageway or blindly around a corner to then "see".....you have the wrong weapon system for the task. A pistol with mounted light or a light separate from the pistol, will usually still allow you to stand off somewhat even in very close quarters. If you put something out around a corner its a free-for-all for someone on the other side to take it away from you and use it against you.

The worst case goes something like this:

The bad guy knows your coming through the house, he heard the action cycled on the weapon, he saw the flickering LED working its way towards him, he's trapped in your house and his only way out is to get by you. So, he waits around the corner whilst you stick the muzzle of your favorite shotgun blindly into the passageway or around said corner. He then grabs the muzzle of your weapon with his weak hand to push it up / down / away from himself, but before a good fair tug-of-war is allowed to occur, he then takes his pistol in his strong hand and points his muzzle at contact range at you. You then fall to floor dead, still grasping your favorite weapon with both hands. He then steps over you or around you to exit the house, perhaps with the loot he intended to take in the first place and maybe now, even your favorite shotgun as you will no longer have any need for it.

Edited by benelliwerkes
syntax

I believe you are under analyzing such situations.

When space allows you should be standing off from the physical wall of the corner with sufficient distance that you would be illuminating what is on the other side of the corner in sectors, as you "pie" the sector for threats.

When done in this manner, the side that you mount your weapon on is irrelevant.

If you are in such a confined space that you must somehow stick the barrel out into the passageway or blindly around a corner to then "see".....you have the wrong weapon system for the task. A pistol with mounted light or a light separate from the pistol, will usually still allow you to stand off somewhat even in very close quarters. If you put something out around a corner its a free-for-all for someone on the other side to take it away from you and use it against you.

The worst case goes something like this:

The bad guy knows your coming through the house, he heard the action cycled on the weapon, he saw the flickering LED working its way towards him, he's trapped in your house and his only way out is to get by you. So, he waits around the corner whilst you stick the muzzle of your favorite shotgun blindly into the passageway or around said corner. He then grabs the muzzle of your weapon with his weak hand to push it up / down / away from himself, but before a good fair tug-of-war is allowed to occur, he then takes his pistol in his strong hand and points his muzzle at contact range at you. You then fall to floor dead, still grasping your favorite weapon with both hands. He then steps over you or around you to exit the house, perhaps with the loot he intended to take in the first place and maybe now, even your favorite shotgun as you will no longer have any need for it.

Great story but why did I have to die at the end? maybe he just shot me in the shoulder or something,lol.

other than that I see your advise I think and that is to stay away from the corners far enough so whatever the side of the light dont matter.

I'd rather the light be on the right side of the weapon, but then activation becomes complicated. Naturally this is set up for a righty.

Using a switch like the SR07 would cure this, but creates it's own set of problems. Mainly wire looming issues. Pressing the SR07 switch from the side rails isn't really the most comfortable. On my AR platform, I prefer it on the 12 o'clock position.

RocketW19 -

You had to die because the alternative was you were incapacitated but not dead. You then had the miserable memory of the thug shooting you, taking your favorite weapon, all your cherished loot in your domain.....and presumably leaving for "dead".....now, you survive to be tormented by Traumatic Stress Disorder for the rest of your breathing days solely because you thoughtless stuck the muzzle of your favorite home defense shotgun out into the darkness.

Now, the next time you encounter said situation, you are handicapped....holding your new favorite shotgun in either your weak hand only or strong hand only (as your shoulder that you were shot in the first time around is useless !).....this time the story hopefully ends with the home owner taking down the bad guy because the good guy was experienced !

Benelliwerks is correct about movement in such confined areas. Often times, a pistol is drastically better than even a SBR or subgun due to proximity and weapon control. It allows you to defend with your support hand, and still have proper control over the weapon to deliver a solid hit. With a rifle or shotgun, the barrel can be leveraged away from you.

This is why falling back and protecting a secure area from some sort of cover is advised. Your goal should be to collect your family members and take cover. Vocal commands about GTFO would be warranted, but I wouldn't hold a conversation with them and give away your exact location. Just cops are on the way, and GTFO and that you are armed.

RocketW19 -

You had to die because the alternative was you were incapacitated but not dead. You then had the miserable memory of the thug shooting you, taking your favorite weapon, all your cherished loot in your domain.....and presumably leaving for "dead".....now, you survive to be tormented by Traumatic Stress Disorder for the rest of your breathing days solely because you thoughtless stuck the muzzle of your favorite home defense shotgun out into the darkness.

Now, the next time you encounter said situation, you are handicapped....holding your new favorite shotgun in either your weak hand only or strong hand only (as your shoulder that you were shot in the first time around is useless !).....this time the story hopefully ends with the home owner taking down the bad guy because the good guy was experienced !

:) lol you are good at this

Benelliwerks is correct about movement in such confined areas. Often times, a pistol is drastically better than even a SBR or subgun due to proximity and weapon control. It allows you to defend with your support hand, and still have proper control over the weapon to deliver a solid hit. With a rifle or shotgun, the barrel can be leveraged away from you.

This is why falling back and protecting a secure area from some sort of cover is advised. Your goal should be to collect your family members and take cover. Vocal commands about GTFO would be warranted, but I wouldn't hold a conversation with them and give away your exact location. Just cops are on the way, and GTFO and that you are armed.

Ya I would grab my USP in almost any type of bump in the night. I can work that thing the best so if I had a misfire or what ever it would be alot easyer to fix it under that stress.

I never realy though of someone grabbing my gun.

Thanks.

I took it out shooting earlier today. Ran about 50 high brass #6, 30 Remington 1 ounce slugs, 5 Ddupleks Hexolit32 slugs, a 100 #7.5 valuepack and about 30 Remington buckshot through the M4.

I also hiked with it for about a mile with my new sling arrangement.

I still believe the factory handguard is superior in ergonomics to the M80. Even with the LaRue index clips, it is still significantly larger in diameter.

Also, if you try to ride you thumb on the momentary button while shooting high brass, you'll jam your thumb if you aren't really holding onto it. The placement of the offset light gives enough room for you to ride your thumb comfortably beneath the momentary button. It'll just take some time to establish some muscle memory.

I tried my best to beat the disconnector on the M4, even with the anemic value pack crap. Out rolled 8 smoking shells. The first still in the air before the last was fired. Rock solid reliability.

The shotgun carried well with the sling. It was still quick to deploy. I hiked about a mile over some rough desert mountainous terrain.

Oh yeah, Ddupleks Hexolit32 rounds are what you want when you've got to kill a Terminator T-1000. They have about half the recoil of a common lead rifled slug and deliver massive amounts of damage far in excess of what a lead rifled slug will deliver. These Hexolit32's have been shown to punch through engine blocks.

I recovered two of the slugs after they tore through a gas cylinder. The entry hole was about 3 inches. The exit was no less than 10" in diameter. The six expanding peddles of the slug had broken free and were not found. A rifled lead slug simply burrowed a hole in and out of it approximately 2" in diameter. The cylinder was already shot up before I began my unscientific testing.

I have a lot of slugs on hand. Probably close to a 1000 stashed away. The only bad thing about the Ddupleks is the price. They're about 3 bucks a pill vs. the 1 dollar per squeeze of your typical slugs.

There are a few things that the Russians (Latvia actually) build good -- Slugs, weapons and women.

I was gonna say you shot 5 duplex slugs thats about $15 bucks,lol. I need to shoot a few of mine just to know the feel.

got any pictures of the cylnder you blasted.

I would of thought the duplex would be good on softer human type stuff and not so good on metal objects due to the lil peddal things. good to know.

Thanks.

There are a few things that the Russians (Latvia actually) build good -- Slugs, weapons and women.

Careful there...

Russian women are known for their beauty and their brawn. And the speed with which one turns into the other.

Ever notice they seem to go from this

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcm2IRjf06cggXwWdxGH5cnttY5I8j2mnywH7HIpfxAXQyVYv6-A

to this; in the blink of an eye.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk7ZuVlLrZwAvaQ-c5EDqg1rVe1WZdC_8cukCzR1zGtW3oklERjg

It's usually better when you can't pronounce your girlfriends name. If you want to see what the dating scene has to offer here in america, go to:

http://www.mocospace.com/

Be very afraid.

The Ddupleks do well on hard targets like car doors and engines too. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA6qbkKPH6Q&feature=related

On soft body targets, the peddles peel off instantly and spread in a star pattern around the impact site. They penetrate about 10 - 12 inches at 30 - 45 degree angles off the impact site.

I didn't have my camera yesterday unfortunately. I don't plan on blasting too many of the Ddupleks due to cost. I just wanted to function test them in my weapon and get an idea on how much recoil they have. Looking at the brass, you'd expect them to kick like a mule -- but they don't.

Thanks for the proper upload.

I was surprised to discover that both the SideArmor and the SureFire rail systems fit together. The Barry Dueck 45 degree off-set rapid transition sights (far optics to near peep sights) are really effective.

It is actually lighter than a Wilson Combat (Scattergun Technologies) Remington 870 with a SureFire Forend fully loaded.

The Short barrel configuration is still quick to point. The extra 4" of barrel and cartridges in the tube etc, create a heavy moment arm on the 18" platforms.

Still waiting for the GG&G Bolt release pad......2 months so far.

Edited by benelliwerkes
syntax

I heard elsewhere that King Armory will cut the M4 barrels to 10". That would be absolutely sick on my setup. My guess is you'd be a 3 +1 + 1 rounds at that length. You'd essentially have enough barrel and magazine tube sticking off the end of the barrel hanger to screw the cap on.

That would make a package that is 26.5" long with the stock collapsed. Quite a bit better than the 40" monster.

I wonder if Kip would make me a 10" Titanium tube. ;)