Light recoil Gun for Trap shooting for older gentleman

Sharkey

I've got a friend who's 73 and had a bit of shoulder work. He can't ride anymore and sold his scooter and is now looking at taking up trap shooting but is concerned about recoil.

I could use some solid recommendations for him please guys.

He's an Old Retired Soldier who's just looking to do some shooting and be able to enjoy himself doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Sharkey

Beretta A400 Xcel Parallel Target.

Ugly as sin, as I'm not a fan of the blue "Smurf gun" receiver, but the softest target shooter in 12 gauge. A 20 gauge, although a great idea when recoil is considered, might prove to be too little for a dedicated trap gun.

Gas guns are far more challenging to keep clean, but since your friend is retired, he has the time...

Good luck and it's nice of you to be assisting your friend enter the trap shooting world; good for both of you!

Gas guns are usually the softest shooting shotguns and are generally reliable with low-recoil target loads such as Winchester AA low noise/low recoil loads. Depending on the kind of money he has to spend (did he sell a Harley or did he sell a Vespa?), I'd look at Remington 1100 first, then up the line to one of the Berettas. Go check out a club. There's usually any number of folks willing to let him try out a basic gun. The softest shooting shotgun I ever fired was an old Browning B80, which, if I recall correctly, was a Browning-imported Beretta. I held on to it for a while for my brother while he went through a divorce. He had to pry it out of my hands to get it back.

Gas guns are usually the softest shooting shotguns and are generally reliable with low-recoil target loads such as Winchester AA low noise/low recoil loads. Depending on the kind of money he has to spend (did he sell a Harley or did he sell a Vespa?), I'd look at Remington 1100 first, then up the line to one of the Berettas. Go check out a club. There's usually any number of folks willing to let him try out a basic gun. The softest shooting shotgun I ever fired was an old Browning B80, which, if I recall correctly, was a Browning-imported Beretta. I held on to it for a while for my brother while he went through a divorce. He had to pry it out of my hands to get it back.

That's funny truckcop and exactly what I suggested as well. I told him I can find some solid recommendations but the proof is always in the pudding so he needs to get to a range and make some friends and see what they are using and maybe try a few out. He's a good guy and will get along well. I'm just doing some looking for him and God knows I'm partial to Benellis.

He sold a Gold Wing. Dunno what year or model but he and his wife have done some serious touring on it. Thanks for all the info guys. I knew I could count on you for the good stuff.

As my birthdays continue to stack-up, gun weight bothers me about as much as recoil, so I look for light-weight guns, which we all know makes recoil a bigger problem.

Recoil is also somewhat subjective, and I am convinced that perceived recoil (for me) is intensified by muzzle blast.

The softest-shooting light-weight shotgun I've shot is my Benelli SuperVinci... it is light weight, smooth, handles well and the recoil is a non-issue with high-velocity 1-1/8 oz 12-ga target loads. (No; I haven't shot any 3-1/2-in heavy mag loads in it yet... I bought a box of 3-1/2-in #4 buck shot shells, but haven't tested them, yet!)

The best recoil pad I've seen for heavy recoil firearms is the Pachmayr "Triple Mag" which is much more effective than the more widely known Pachmayr decelerator pad. I was introduced to this product by a 'smith in Bloomfield, CO that tested recoil pads on a 10-ga SxS shotgun, and declared the Triple Mag the best in recoil management.

This product has eliminated the need to install muzzle brakes on light-weight magnum mountain rifles, including the hard-pounding Weatherby magnums. I would not hesitate to install this recoil pad on a shotgun where the shooter needs maximum recoil absorption. --CC

When I was looking for a gun for my teenaged daughter Larry's Sporting Goods (a local top of the line trap and skeet haunt) strongly suggested a Beretta A390 (the 391 was not out yet) in 12 gauge NOT 20.

They said the 20 would be lighter and the felt recoil would be greater than the 12 gauge 390 set-up for lighter loads.

She shot it for several years with no ill effects.

Pat

LOL!!! I miss more than i hit and its not the gun fault lol!!! I'm 50 so not young but getting older so i wanted a nice light gun to carry and for my daughter to shoot and that 20 ga. is awesome !!! Dove, squirrel and now rabbits. In the spring were going trap shooting so it will get a good workout then!!!

We're the same age but I've been pretty lucky and still hangin on to enough conditioning to be able to handle and enjoy the big stuff. Of course, I don't spend much time trapsin the countryside either though so ya know, humping the heavy stuff from my truck into the range house ain't so bad...lol

• 2 weeks later...