Somebody is selling made in USA recoil tubes

Doge

On 12/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, les_garten said:

Give your feedback and technique when you get a chance.  Thanx for the insight thusfar.

I stick a short cleaning rod up the recoil tube while stuffing the spring back in. Doing it so makes me not care about the drainage hole and I won’t be dunking my M4 in water any time soon.

If the drainage holes are a concern, it wouldn’t be difficult to drill them in.

Once the spring is in, getting the retaining screw back in is made easier with Doge’s retaining screw driver tool. 

Edited by kilyung
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, kilyung said:

I stick a short cleaning rod up the recoil tube while stuffing the spring back in. Doing it so makes me not care about the drainage hole and I won’t be dunking my M4 in water any time soon.

If the drainage holes are a concern, it wouldn’t be difficult to drill them in.

Once the spring is in, getting the retaining screw back in is made easier with Doge’s retaining screw driver tool. 

I do see how the lack of hole may make the Doge tool even more interesting...

I got one of the 6 position extensions ordered today for someone's build. I'm interested to see how it compares to the OEM extensions.

Interesting to hear it doesn't have the drainage holes. It isn't the end of the world. You can hold the receiver extension, compress some of the spring into the extension, grasp the spring with your thumb and pointer finger a little at a time until its compressed enough to insert the stock retainer screw. You'll want to push in like two inches of spring at a time so the spring doesn't get away from you.

The holes should definitely be added by RMW.

• 6 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 11:54 PM, mkporwit said:

Hey @Regal Metal Works, nice job listening to your potential customers here and adding the retaining flex ring. Any chance you'd also add drain holes to the designs, just like the factory tube has?

Just purchased a 5 position tube and it came WITH DRAIN HOLES and with the flex ring installed. This thing is a piece of art and definitely an upgrade. 

On 12/31/2021 at 5:34 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Wouldn't be terribly difficult to drill them with a drill press.

I'll definitely review it when it comes in. I doubt I'd bother to replace an OEM 3 position tube with one of these 6 position extensions at the current price point, but it would be worth upgrading a M1014 if you need a functional extension anyway.

As I said in the post above they seem to be coming with drain holes now. They are also on sale at the moment for $150. Did you get yours in to review? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

10 hours ago, 2APezDispenser said:

As I said in the post above they seem to be coming with drain holes now. They are also on sale at the moment for $150. Did you get yours in to review? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I did see that recently. I needed to have two of the extensions replaced since the tolerances were so loose that when you screwed the extension in, the extension would rock back and forth due to poor thread engagement. Regal made me two new ones with larger specs which came with the drain holes. One extension fit nice and tight, the other would only thread in four full rotations before binding. Both tubes are dimensionally the same since they both fit into one receiver. The second receiver is nogo with either of them.

So I'm going to guess there is some tolerance slop between receivers which can be a real pain in the ass to build a part for. Its been kind of a headache and has delayed two projects significantly.

I'm really interested to see how RXArms tubes compare.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I did see that recently. I needed to have two of the extensions replaced since the tolerances were so loose that when you screwed the extension in, the extension would rock back and forth due to poor thread engagement. Regal made me two new ones with larger specs which came with the drain holes. One extension fit nice and tight, the other would only thread in four full rotations before binding. Both tubes are dimensionally the same since they both fit into one receiver. The second receiver is nogo with either of them.

So I'm going to guess there is some tolerance slop between receivers which can be a real pain in the ass to build a part for. Its been kind of a headache and has delayed two projects significantly.

I'm really interested to see how RXArms tubes compare.

Is that why Benelli uses so much threadlocker?

12 hours ago, Scout_21 said:

Is that why Benelli uses so much threadlocker?

I considered that actually. However I tested the fit with brand new OEM extensions that had never had Loctite applied, and they only show minimal wiggle. Old used extensions have thread locker dried inside the threads which might be tightening the fit to some degree.

The first RMW extensions I received would rock to all sides once screwed in to depth. When measuring the tubes, the outer diameter was undersized approximately 75 thousandths of an inch compared to an OEM tube. For those not familiar with these kind of measurements, figure 100 thousands to be a 1/10 of an inch.

RMW undersized the tubes after finding tolerance issues with the OEM receivers. Some would fit, others would not. I don't know where the issue is because I've installed probably 200 of the OEM extensions and never encountered an issue where the tubes fit sloppy in various receivers with replacement OEM extensions.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I considered that actually. However I tested the fit with brand new OEM extensions that had never had Loctite applied, and they only show minimal wiggle. Old used extensions have thread locker dried inside the threads which might be tightening the fit to some degree.

The first RMW extensions I received would rock to all sides once screwed in to depth. When measuring the tubes, the outer diameter was undersized approximately 75 thousandths of an inch compared to an OEM tube. For those not familiar with these kind of measurements, figure 100 thousands to be a 1/10 of an inch.

RMW undersized the tubes after finding tolerance issues with the OEM receivers. Some would fit, others would not. I don't know where the issue is because I've installed probably 200 of the OEM extensions and never encountered an issue where the tubes fit sloppy in various receivers with replacement OEM extensions.

I pray this is not an issue with mine. I've heard great things about the owner being easy to contact and make things right... but I'd rather not have to deal with that. I'll keep y'all posted on how mine fits. Thanks for the updates Stranger!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 8:46 PM, 2APezDispenser said:

I pray this is not an issue with mine. I've heard great things about the owner being easy to contact and make things right... but I'd rather not have to deal with that. I'll keep y'all posted on how mine fits. Thanks for the updates Stranger!

Did you ever get yours installed?

Just ordered a 5 position for my new M1014 my first Benelli had a Tac 12 but wanted the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up on this because I found this thread before I decided to  purchase my RMW 5 position recoil tube - I installed it today and was disappointed at first that there was a good amount of play in every direction exactly like in the video posted above - but when I tightened down the locking nut, it cleaned up 100% of the slop and it is rock solid now. Not sure if that’s the case for everyone, but wanted to share my experience. 

• 1 month later...

Hey sorry for the late response. I've been working on other projects but I plan on getting the recoil tube installed this weekend. It sounds like Steve also had an experience with a loose recoil tube. I understand the locking nut should take out the slop but I'd rather not settle for a loose fitting recoil tube on a $2k shotgun. I will keep everyone posted and worse case scenario if mine is also loose fitting I will let ya'll know how the experience of trying to get a replacement is. 

Finally got the 5 position installed. It took about 30 minutes with the heat gun to get the locking nut to loosen up, then another 5 to twist the original tube out. The Regal metal works 5 position tube had a tiny bit of wiggle but barely any so I went ahead and installed it. After about 15 minutes I noticed the buttstock wasn't totally centered but the loctite had already cured enough that I had to reuse the heat gun. Once I got the locking nut backed off the new recoil tube I grabbed the tube with an oven mitt and tried to wiggle it around. It had zero wiggle even with the locking nut backed off, so the loctite alone was enough to remove the small amount of wiggle it had before.  As mentioned in the previous post the locking nut tightens everything up nice and solid. This thing is pretty awesome guys, I'm really happy with it. 

• Upvote 2