GT Reviews 1301 and compares to the M4

Kahamu

8 hours ago, SnidelyWhiplash said:

Interesting. Who is adopting the 1301?

To my knowledge no US Military has tested or opted for the  Beretta 1301. Still,  certain units in the Marine Corps used the 1014 . The 590 and 870 are still widely used even in the Marine Corps. But just like the 1911 the 1014 is a hoss, but the 1301 is no slouch, even though my round count on the 1301 is limited to roughly 3 months ( with no failures regardless of what I feed it) and My 1014 days started in 1999 I wouldn’t mine either weapons for an offensive or defensive situation. I’m blessed to own both. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SnidelyWhiplash said:

I stand by my opinion, as posted elsewhere on this forum, that the M4 is a markedly better built combat grade weapon, while the 1301T is “a hunting gun converted to a tactical model by the addition of black furniture”. The lightness of the 1301 models is due to the use of lower quality plastic parts than are on my M4 and don’t create a level of comfort for me that warrant the cost savings. I bought my M4’s because I’m willing to pay the price for the most durable combat grade weapon available for my needs (home defense, duty work, truck gun, etc). I couldn’t care less about the M4’s ability to shoot “light loads”; My M4 will only see buckshot and slugs that it was designed for and which it handles flawlessly.

I know I sound like a broken record but another user posted a quote from the owner of Battlefield Vegas : “If I could only ever own just one shotgun in my life, it would be the Benelli M4.” That convinced me.

I’m glad your 1301’s have been reliable for you and that you’re happy with them. I’m just not willing, and don’t need, to drop down in price / quality / reliability / durability for my shotguns and the roles they fill.

PS - The more I read your message the more it comes across as a kinda pompous reply. Perhaps I’m misreading it or missing your true intent? I’m willing to listen if you have a legitimate argument and reason (other than “It’s lighter”) as to the superiority of the 1301 over the M4.

I don't claim the 1301 is superior to the M4. My shotgun has a specific purpose in my home, outside of my home my ar is the tool I'll use without a thought. I don't waste my time insulting people specifically not face to face. If I don't have anything positive to share on a forum I'll stay out of it. I only come here for info & if I can share something useful then I will. Remember this is nothing more than a perspective.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nyc71 said:

I don't claim the 1301 is superior to the M4. My shotgun has a specific purpose in my home, outside of my home my ar is the tool I'll use without a thought. I don't waste my time insulting people specifically not face to face. If I don't have anything positive to share on a forum I'll stay out of it. I only come here for info & if I can share something useful then I will. Remember this is nothing more than a perspective.

Then I apologize for misreading your message and misconstruing your intent.

In the classes you’ve participated in what has been the ratio of M4 / 1301 / Other type shotguns and has there been any notable or reported common issues?

Edited by SnidelyWhiplash
  • Upvote 1

On 2/27/2022 at 6:23 AM, SnidelyWhiplash said:

Then I apologize for misreading your message and misconstruing your intent.

In the classes you’ve participated in what has been the ratio of M4 / 1301 / Other type shotguns and has there been any notable or reported common issues?

The last two classes I've attended there were more 1301T than the M4 my assumption is cause the combo of lower priced and people are hearing accounts of reliability.The M4 reputation is unquestionable but there are many that will shy away because of the cost. When it comes to either one having issues there were none. I've noticed other shooter having issues with the 1100 & a few of the M4 clones. I emphasized the weight of 1301 because between the two obviously the M4 is heavier. In a control environment like a course take into account the weather, age, physical conditioning, and how long the course is will determine how motivated the person will be after second or third day of an 8hr course. I've lend them both to several people to do a course and all said the recoil is more manageable with the M4 but the weight drained the desire to keep shooting. Imagine adding the stress of your life or love ones in danger that alone adds more fatigue depending on your training and physical fitness because the heart rate may be going 1k miles a beat.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:09 PM, nyc71 said:

The last two classes I've attended there were more 1301T than the M4 my assumption is cause the combo of lower priced and people are hearing accounts of reliability.The M4 reputation is unquestionable but there are many that will shy away because of the cost. When it comes to either one having issues there were none. I've noticed other shooter having issues with the 1100 & a few of the M4 clones. I emphasized the weight of 1301 because between the two obviously the M4 is heavier. In a control environment like a course take into account the weather, age, physical conditioning, and how long the course is will determine how motivated the person will be after second or third day of an 8hr course. I've lend them both to several people to do a course and all said the recoil is more manageable with the M4 but the weight drained the desire to keep shooting. Imagine adding the stress of your life or love ones in danger that alone adds more fatigue depending on your training and physical fitness because the heart rate may be going 1k miles a beat.

The 1301 is being pushed hard by a lot of people who do shotgun training right now, as well. It's not a bad thing, the 1301 is a great shotgun, but it does due to mention that it is being pushed very hard.

I agree that there are quite a lot of 1301t in classes. It was less punishing than the m4. I have more appreciation for field stocks as reloading with a pistol grip is slower (for me). I’m going to try my next class with a field stock m4 for comparison.  Imho both are excellent shotguns with a reliability edge to the m4. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I have been shooting my 1301 a bunch the last two weeks testing out buckshot loads for reliability and patterns.
The 1301 recoils hard, probably due to its weight so I have been looking at loads in the 1250-1300fps range (it has

been completely reliable with low recoil slugs).

I went to clean it this morning (probaby about 120 or so rounds through it total) and found some shocking wear.  See the pics below.
The piston housing is getting chewed up.  And now the thin plastic tube the bolt carrier rides on is getting gouged.  Will it crack?  Who knows.

This gun has already been back to Beretta for a bulged barrel.  Oh, and today the action spring decided to unseat itself from the PLASTIC keeper and hang up

on the tube threads making disassembly a pain.

1301-piston-housing.jpg

1301-carrier-tube.jpg

Below are shots of my 14 year old M4 and its pistons (second pic they have been cleaned with Hoppes).  Not a hint of wear anywhere.

M4-bolt-pistons.jpg

M4-pistons.jpg

The fragillity of the 1301 is shocking.  I think its best to just run it dirty and leave it that way.

Edited by 12508
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 12508 said:

I have been shooting my 1301 a bunch the last two weeks testing out buckshot loads for reliability and patterns.
The 1301 recoils hard, probably due to its weight so I have been looking at loads in the 1250-1300fps range (it has

I went to clean it this morning (probaby about 120 or so rounds through it total) and found some shocking wear.  See the pics below.
The piston housing is getting chewed up.  And now the thin plastic tube the bolt carrier rides on is getting gouged.  Will it crack?  Who knows.

This gun has already been back to Beretta for a bulged barrel.  Oh, and today the action spring decided to unseat itself from the PLASTIC keeper and hang up

1301-piston-housing.jpg

1301-carrier-tube.jpg

Below are shots of my 14 year old M4 and its pistons (second pic they have been cleaned with Hoppes).  Not a hint of wear anywhere.

M4-bolt-pistons.jpg

M4-pistons.jpg

The fragillity of the 1301 is shocking.  I think its best to just run it dirty and leave it that way.

And this is why the benelli m4 is still king of shotguns. Inb4 1301 shills seethe.  Prepare for the seething. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder some times if I am the only person that views THE ultimate validation of the M4 being King of battle type/tactical semi-auto shotguns..are the countless comparisons made by all the other shotgun manufacturers vs. the M4 out there??  Pointing out/comparing subjective items such as; weight, ergos, trigger, looks, perceived recoil, reliability, etc..against the M4..further defines the Legacy of the M4 and it’s modern history in military & civilian world wide, alongside a patent that expired which allowed other manufacturers to say…”hey look at our version”.  To be clear, I’m not a “Benelli Fan boy”..but damn the M4 gets close to perfect,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BamBam said:

I wonder some times if I am the only person that views THE ultimate validation of the M4 being King of battle type/tactical semi-auto shotguns..are the countless comparisons made by all the other shotgun manufacturers vs. the M4 out there??  Pointing out/comparing subjective items such as; weight, ergos, trigger, looks, perceived recoil, reliability, etc..against the M4..further defines the Legacy of the M4 and it’s modern history in military & civilian world wide, alongside a patent that expired which allowed other manufacturers to say…”hey look at our version”.  To be clear, I’m not a “Benelli Fan boy”..but damn the M4 gets close to perfect,

Perhaps.

To be clear, I am not anti 1301.  I have one and while I am disappointed in it, I am keeping it.  It is easy to shoot slugs accurately (only gone to 25 yds; I have an M4 that put 5 slugs in one hole at 50yds seated so I am not declaring a winner there yet), it is light, manueverable, and the stock cylinder choke is pretty good.

What I am is anti 1301 vs. M4 comparisons that ignore all of the 1301's substantial deficiencies compared to the M4.  All the big name youtubers have done this.  They are both Italian, that is about it. 

My posterity will be shooting my M4s long after I am gone.  I think  my 1301 will be done after another 300 rounds of buckshot.

1 hour ago, ruger said:

5 shots in one hole at 50 yards,,,don't change a thing..you got a winner.

Funny thing is, that particular M4 was one of the original imported H2O robar np3 models.  I bought it and literally shot 5 wolf slugs out of it and put it away.
I don't think I will be doing any more shooting with it.

Edited by 12508
  • Upvote 1

On 3/5/2022 at 8:49 PM, 12508 said:

1301-piston-housing.jpg

1301-carrier-tube.jpg

M4-bolt-pistons.jpg

M4-pistons.jpg

Dang. That’s not what I want to see. I suppose I should disassembled mine and see what’s going on.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:49 PM, StreetSweeper56 said:

Well, keep us posted on what you find, I was seriously considering getting one and am curious if damage after limited use is common, thanks!

I don’t have any deformations or unusual wear under the hood. The 1301 has been flawless for about 400-500 rounds. I love it. I’ve said it before, it’s not a replacement for the M4. That said, I 100% trust the 1301T. If you can have both, you should.

• Upvote 1

I like variety. They are different guns at different prices. Heck, I remember when the first generation 1301 launched you could have gotten them for 800$ after a few months. Far better than when the TX4 was the same price as the M4.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 3:44 AM, Unobtanium said:

The 1301 is being pushed hard by a lot of people who do shotgun training right now, as well. It's not a bad thing, the 1301 is a great shotgun, but it does due to mention that it is being pushed very hard.

Why is that I wonder? I’ve felt like the 1301 has also been pushed pretty heavy via YouTube for the past six months which strikes me as kinda odd as they’ve been unobtainium ( ? ) for quite a while.

On 3/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, 12508 said:

My posterity will be shooting my M4s long after I am gone.  I think  my 1301 will be done after another 300 rounds of buckshot.

@12508, Been thinking about your 1301 and the issues you’ve experienced. Any change since you last posted?

Edited by SnidelyWhiplash
  • Upvote 1

No updates.  I haven't fired it since I discovered the latest wear.  I would love to see other owners post photos of the their piston housings . . .

I have no idea how the barrel bulged.  It was on its second range trip and I was shooting pheasant loads and some fiocchi and federal low recoil slugs.

I am trying to get my hands on a Mossberg 940 Tactical for a comparo.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 12508 said:

No updates.  I haven't fired it since I discovered the latest wear.  I would love to see other owners post photos of the their piston housings . . .

I have no idea how the barrel bulged.  It was on its second range trip and I was shooting pheasant loads and some fiocchi and federal low recoil slugs.

I am trying to get my hands on a Mossberg 940 Tactical for a comparo.

The 940 pro Tactical looks promising. I hope they get it right. I had a miserable time with a 930 tactical

Finally got out to shoot my 1301 tactical. Cycles great, no issues at all but I am gravitating to my 1014. The extra weight of the Benelli noticeably tames the high velocity buckshot loads compared to the 1301 (I have limbsaver on both).  Not sure I'll keep the 1301.