Using a shotgun to clear your home

John Doe

17 minutes ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

I read a retired judge said, in his 35 years on the bench, a shotgun was THE most fought over weapon in home invasions so I would not have my stock extended like in the video. I'd keep the barrel exposure to a minimum. It was very instructive though.

Others in the comment made the same statement. There is actually quite a debate in the comments about it. It is actually pretty funny. There are some issues I have with what was said, but I would like to know what you guys all think about it.

• Upvote 1

In home defense scenarios, I prefer a 300AAC Blackout SBR with a short suppressor. 300AAC is an excellent round at 25yards or less. SBR is easy to manipulate around corners, doors and hallways. The suppressor protects your hearing not only for medical reasons but being able to keep your hearing situational awareness if the fight continues after the first engagement. 

If I would be required to exit my home and handle a hostile situation outside, I would grab my Benelli M4. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Don Randall said:

In home defense scenarios, I prefer a 300AAC Blackout SBR with a short suppressor. 300AAC is an excellent round at 25yards or less. SBR is easy to manipulate around corners, doors and hallways. The suppressor protects your hearing not only for medical reasons but being able to keep your hearing situational awareness if the fight continues after the first engagement. 

If I would be required to exit my home and handle a hostile situation outside, I would grab my Benelli M4. 

I’m curious as to what the barrel length is on your sbr, as well as the overall length. I live in California so I am limited to my choices. That is unless the NFA gets thrown out to which I’m hopeful but I won’t be holding my breath. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, xblax619 said:

I’m curious as to what the barrel length is on your sbr, as well as the overall length. I live in California so I am limited to my choices. That is unless the NFA gets thrown out to which I’m hopeful but I won’t be holding my breath. 

SBR: Springfield Armory SAINT, 300AAC, 9" Barrel, Overall Length 27.75in, Add Surefire SOCOM SOCOM762-MINI2 Overall Length = 31.75".  I have been studying the addition of Brownell's' AR-15 CTR STOCK COLLAPSIBLE MIL-SPEC W/ FOLDING STOCK ADAPTER which would shorten everything by 6.2"; but when comes time to fire will have to swing the stock out.

Adding suppressors always is a trade-off for how short the system will be configured. 

As expected, the ATF lied about SBR approval times; they claim 30-days, the average time is now 100 days. For suppressor approval averages 235 days with ATF claiming 90 days.  However, they will cash your $200 tax fee within 5 business days!

Edited by Don Randall
  • Upvote 2

Thats why God made shorties. If I gotta clear the house after waking up in the dead of night I'm grabbing this first. PXL-20211226-061306682-2.thumb.jpg.deeff4f3164077031bc436f875b3a392.jpg

Or this.

20220922_132832.thumb.jpg.1d6c545daedd627391af63333294ff0a.jpg

If God forbid I run dry and gotta keep fighting I'm grabbing this.

PXL_20230121_171510321.thumb.jpg.269b0c04045c2717e71087f7545634a6.jpg

Or this.

870_SBS.2.thumb.png.72c876bb73d546268e3536cdb9d87e8f.png

Only thing I use my long shotgun for is hunting/varmint control. My home is too small and crowded for shotguns really so they would be last on my list.

• Like 2

I have a 9mm pistol on both sides of the bed, but if something goes bump in the night, I go for the Benelli M4 with tactical light which is 3' away from the bed. I have a Remington 870 stashed downstairs. If I have to pull the trigger, I want the most lead on target as fast as possible. Maybe I'm just naive or presupposing most scenarios are best solved with a shotgun.

One scenario I can think of where I'd prefer a pistol or an AR ... is a hostage situation where a more precise shot is required (over a shotgun).

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, rotties are great. The one above? She’s long crossed over the rainbow bridge, yet absolutely shredded the arm of home invader. Long story, yet it looked like somebody had tossed a bucket of blood in the front room. And zero uncomfortable questions about why I shot the guy - even though I would have been perfectly within my rights to do so. Short version is a crackhead pried open a door at 2am and got into the house when I lived in downtown Milwaukee. Probably 20+ years ago. Fairly liberal city, worse now then it was then, but I still would have been in for a ride through the criminal justice system has I put a few holes in him. 

Edited by danbrew
  • Upvote 2

Without being too much of a thread pig, I'd probably use this, maybe with a can on the end:

image.thumb.png.6cf460cb10c19d96976cf546b6fe8296.png

Before I used a shotgun.  Good Lord, you'd be deafer than a post if you touched off a shotgun round in the house.  I get it, better than being dead, but a shotgun in *your* house at 2a? No thanks.  Different story if I was clearing a house that wasn't mine and for sure had bad guys inside it.  Then maybe I'd use something like this:

image.thumb.png.74ee70dcebf977ede170efa68001f461.png

• Upvote 1