Home Invasion Monday Morning

supernovaNole

My Benelli Supernova Pump Tactical came in handy this past weekend...

Two men broke into my townhome at approximately 12:30am early Monday morning. I was out of town but my girlfriend was home upstairs watching tv.

She heard noises and then two men talking downstairs. She called 911 immediately. The men turned on lights downstairs and were looking around. They must have heard her moving around upstairs because she heard them say "I think someone is upstairs... go up there and check it out." The upstairs hallway light came on and my girlfriend heard footsteps coming up the stairs.

Fortunately she had retrieved my supernova pump tactical and yelled "I have a shotgun and I know how to use it. Get the F--k out of my house" She then cocked the shotgun. Upon hearing the shotgun cock the burglars proceeded to run from the premises.

Of note, it took the police 30 minutes to arrive from the time she called them. I live in Sandy Springs which is a suburb of Atlanta 1/2 mile outside the perimeter on the North side. It is considered a safe area and they still took that long.

I hate to think of what would have happened had she not had the means to defend herself.

So for all those people who ask "why do you need a gun?" Here is your answer. I would always say so I have it in case I need it. I just never thought I would need it.

Ironically my girlfriend comes from an anti-gun family and has always been afraid of my guns. I would always try to teach her how to load them and be safe with them but she was always put off by it so we had a 'don't touch' policy for her.

Fortunately she had paid enough attention that she knew how to load the shotgun and 'shuck' it. Just that sound alone was enough thankfully.

I'm also glad I got a pump shotgun instead of an automatic as I was debating the choice when I purchased my gun last year.

She is still pretty freaked out, as am I, but it could have been much worse.

Be safe everyone and I hope this never happens to you or someone you love.

So glad to hear she is safe. Thumbs up to you for training her.

Thats one of my biggest fears, that my Wife or little girl will be home when im not there.

My wife has her CCW, and can use a pistol quite well.

I just fear that she is not aggressive enough and might hesitate that small second.

You better get mean and quick witted to make it in todays world.

Kudos!!! for your wife and glad to hear everything is all well. Your spouse sounds like mine and although she was resistant at one point she is coming around and feeling more comfortable with handling a pistol and shotgun.For the naive folks who read your story this situation could have gone from worse to unrecoverable in seconds. Everyone needs a firearm in there home!!! Great job to the both of you..............

Thats great she managed the cituation and nobody in your family was hurt!! The 30 minute wait for the police is still 15 minutes quicker than ADT's responce. Took them 45 minutes to get to my house and after alarm was set off "BY ME" cops show up guns drawn? then i had to explain why i was in my house:eek: just moved in and took a week before i set off the alarm, i did not know that the alarm was actually still turned on, since i did not pay anyone for service!! With a responce time of 45 minutes i did not leave it turned on either!! Most women are good with firearms if they take to them and she is lucky that pump shotgun action means business!! Hopefully she would have capped them if pushed!! Opening my front door would have been like a huge shove!! BOOM BOOM!!:)

These days there is no such thing as a safe area.With all the gun permits being issued and more awareness of crime and the need for guns,criminals will or already are branching into areas that others feel are safe for them to be in.Makes alot of people an easy target having this false sense of security! I sure am glad your girlfriend had the fortitude to grab the shotgun,rack the slide and tell the intruders she had a shotgun.She probably doesnt know how lucky she was that you had the gun where she could get to it.I hope that they catch them before they have a chance to invade someone else's home and or do someone bodily harm!Maybe you should try to talk her into taking a firearm defensive course.

I just watched an episode of Personal Defense TV on the Outdoor Channel featuring a lady instructor at Gunsite.I wish I were close enough to take their course,and I feel that everyone who owns a gun and has an interest in their own defense should take a defensive firearm course.

Kudos!!! for your wife and glad to hear everything is all well. Your spouse sounds like mine and although she was resistant at one point she is coming around and feeling more comfortable with handling a pistol and shotgun.For the naive folks who read your story this situation could have gone from worse to unrecoverable in seconds. Everyone needs a firearm in there home!!! Great job to the both of you..............

His wife is probably not at all happy about this outcome. His girlfriend sure is though. :D

Good outcome... the only better outcome would be if the scum had been caught and locked away forever. Barring that, if your girlfriend could handle it, the next best thing would have been for her to engage them with deadly results, calloused I know but it is likely after they clean there drawers out and start to forget about it and need some drug money the shitte heads will try the same thing. The next victim might not have the same protection.

One point on training wifes/girlfriends/female friends- teach them all the fun stuff- loading, shooting, some simple tactics, but don't forget the most important thing- they may have to at some critical point take another human beings life. Some of you might know this first hand but it is a **** of a thing to have to kill another person. Make sure they understand and are ready for it. I have tought several and with the exception of one I don't think they would freeze at the moment of truth. The one I am worried about is a lefty with the "everyone is good inside, they are just a victim of the system" mentality. Sigh...... at least I got her to shoot a couple of guns. Who knows, maybe if it came down to it she would turn into screaming banshee and but stroke the punk!

Semper Fi

One point on training wifes/girlfriends/female friends- teach them all the fun stuff- loading, shooting, some simple tactics, but don't forget the most important thing- they may have to at some critical point take another human beings life. Some of you might know this first hand but it is a **** of a thing to have to kill another person. Make sure they understand and are ready for it.

It's interesting you said this. I was just talking to my girlfriend last night and she told me that one of the reasons she never wanted to learn how to use the guns previously was because she didn't think she would be able to use them on someone. So she figured that it would not be any use.

She said that during the home invasion she was ready willing and able to kill someone if need be. She said it really surprised her. I think she is still dealing with that realization.

It is serious business and I'm really glad it never came to that and she ended up ok.

Be safe everyone and get training for your families,

SupernovaNole

I must be getting soft in my old age because the only thing I can think about is that your friend is okay. Every situation is different, which is why I have a large can of pepper spray near my bedstand. Hopefully an intruder(s) such as young teenagers will be convinced to leave after a face full of OC+CS. However, after a long career in law enforcement, I have learned that some criminals are just plain mean, stupid, drunk or drugged up and tend to be extremely violent when they come in contact with people. That's why in addition to the chemical spray I also have a .45 pistol and Bennelli available. Sure, they're plenty sorry the next day or when their caught, but by then the damage is done. I would encourage everyone, men and women, learn how to protect yourself and don't be fooled by what you read in the court news or on TV about how nice a person the criminal is. If you are attacked, they will be trying to kill you.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

I must be getting soft in my old age because the only thing I can think about is that your friend is okay. Every situation is different, which is why I have a large can of pepper spray near my bedstand. Hopefully an intruder(s) such as young teenagers will be convinced to leave after a face full of OC+CS. However, after a long career in law enforcement, I have learned that some criminals are just plain mean, stupid, drunk or drugged up and tend to be extremely violent when they come in contact with people. That's why in addition to the chemical spray I also have a .45 pistol and Bennelli available. Sure, they're plenty sorry the next day or when their caught, but by then the damage is done. I would encourage everyone, men and women, learn how to protect yourself and don't be fooled by what you read in the court news or on TV about how nice a person the criminal is. If you are attacked, they will be trying to kill you.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

Soft in your old age?! I will just shoot them- you are talking about putting some serious pain on there arses and THEN shooting them! Sounds pretty hard to me!!! Give 'em the business girl! :D