SBE2 & Nasty Kick

Kazz

I have my dad's 1970's Sears 12 gauge that only takes 2 3/4" shells and can shoot it all day long. It's like nothing.

My brother-in-law got me started duck hunting and wants to get me out goose hunting and I'm all for it, but he's insisted I need 3" & 3 1/2" shells. I bought a used Mossberg from an old man that was a friend of his. I don't recall the model, but it was 860-something, I think. It was very short, perhaps a 24", and only took 3" and 3 1/2". I couldn't handle the kick.

So, I took the Mossberg, and old Stephens single-shot 20-gauge in to trade in and get a Benelli. I wanted the SBE2 in AGP so I could use 3 1/2" shells.

It's taken a few weeks, but I finally got out to the range with it today. I only had the ammo I'd been using in the other guns: Remington game load: 2 3/4", 1250fps, 1oz, 8 and Winchester Xpert Hi Velocity, 3 1/2" 1550fps, 1 3/8oz BB (I didn't bring 1 1/8oz 2s I had, just the BBs).

Anyway, I started with the game load and was amazed at how much kick there was. After another round or two I moved to a 3 1/2" shell. That really hurt. I put 3 - 3 1/2s in and paid very close attention to how I was holding the butt to my shoulder. Fired once, caught myself flinching before firing the second round, ejected the third, packed up and went home!

Blood blister/bruising on my shoulder. I'm not a big guy, 5'9", #165, but this kicked as much as the Mossberg. I had my brother-in-law shoot the Mossberg before I traded it in and he agreed it had a nasty kick. He even apologized he'd set up the sale with is friend for it. This new SBE2 is as bad, easily.

What am I doing wrong? This thing is marketed HEAVILY based on light kick. What could be the issue???

Thanks.

I have my dad's 1970's Sears 12 gauge that only takes 2 3/4" shells and can shoot it all day long. It's like nothing.

My brother-in-law got me started duck hunting and wants to get me out goose hunting and I'm all for it, but he's insisted I need 3" & 3 1/2" shells. I bought a used Mossberg from an old man that was a friend of his. I don't recall the model, but it was 860-something, I think. It was very short, perhaps a 24", and only took 3" and 3 1/2". I couldn't handle the kick.

So, I took the Mossberg, and old Stephens single-shot 20-gauge in to trade in and get a Benelli. I wanted the SBE2 in AGP so I could use 3 1/2" shells.

It's taken a few weeks, but I finally got out to the range with it today. I only had the ammo I'd been using in the other guns: Remington game load: 2 3/4", 1250fps, 1oz, 8 and Winchester Xpert Hi Velocity, 3 1/2" 1550fps, 1 3/8oz BB (I didn't bring 1 1/8oz 2s I had, just the BBs).

Anyway, I started with the game load and was amazed at how much kick there was. After another round or two I moved to a 3 1/2" shell. That really hurt. I put 3 - 3 1/2s in and paid very close attention to how I was holding the butt to my shoulder. Fired once, caught myself flinching before firing the second round, ejected the third, packed up and went home!

Blood blister/bruising on my shoulder. I'm not a big guy, 5'9", #165, but this kicked as much as the Mossberg. I had my brother-in-law shoot the Mossberg before I traded it in and he agreed it had a nasty kick. He even apologized he'd set up the sale with is friend for it. This new SBE2 is as bad, easily.

What am I doing wrong? This thing is marketed HEAVILY based on light kick. What could be the issue???

Thanks.

If you want a light kicking shotgun, get a Berreta or something gas operated and over-bored. An inertia operated shotgun has more kick, and anything firing 3.5" shells is going to be somewhat kick-happy no matter what. Just toughen up basically.

I don't know what to say :confused:

I've been shooting the SBE since 1991 with no ill effect.

Each spring I'll test maybe 100 3.5" turkey loads, and while it's not exactly fun, it's no big deal and I have been doing this for almost 20 years. A good year waterfowling for me is 4-6 cases of magnum steel shot.

Sounds like you should stick to your dad's 2.75" Sears 12 gauge so you can shoot all day long.

If I had to just guess what the problem is, I'd have to say you are just a person that is sensitive to recoil. I doubt you can toughen up at this point in your life. I'd sell the gun and maybe shoot a gas action 20 gauge with very light loads. Maybe have the gun ported and have a very soft recoil pad added.

I don't know what to say :confused:

I've been shooting the SBE since 1991 with no ill effect.

Each spring I'll test maybe 100 3.5" turkey loads, and while it's not exactly fun, it's no big deal and I have been doing this for almost 20 years. A good year waterfowling for me is 4-6 cases of magnum steel shot.

Sounds like you should stick to your dad's 2.75" Sears 12 gauge so you can shoot all day long.

If I had to just guess what the problem is, I'd have to say you are just a person that is sensitive to recoil. I doubt you can toughen up at this point in your life. I'd sell the gun and maybe shoot a gas action 20 gauge with very light loads. Maybe have the gun ported and have a very soft recoil pad added.

Meh, its never too late to change, it will just take some work. Even in the 200 rounds of buckshot/slugs I have fired from my M4 I have "toughened up" a good bit. The last time I shot it I was patterning OOO 3" Magnum Buckshot. I fired it like I would my AR15. Seated with my elboes resting over my knees holding the weapon firm, but not TIGHT. Yes. IT HURT! But my pattern was dead-centered and I got 50-70% on a 14x20" piece of paper at 40 yards.

This thing is marketed HEAVILY based on light kick. What could be the issue???

The issue is clever marketing.

Find a Physics professor and have him explain recoil to you.

You can add weight, in the form of a mercury recoil reducer, to the Benelli, but I seriously doubt it's going to be enough to satisfy you.

Shooting under field conditions with heavier clothing will help some.

A heavier gas-operated gun will kick less.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I came to Benelli specifically because of their marketing. Having bought it brand new, it's a lesson that's gonna cost me a few hundred bucks. I will definitely let Benelli know how disappointed I am.

Thanks all for the perspective.

Hey kazz

I have shot just about every 3.5inch gun and ammo configuration on the market. If you have issues with the SBE2, you will have issues with all other3.5 inch as well. Some folks just cant shoot a 3.5 inch round. With the high performance ammo's these days you dont need to shoot these 3.5 inch loads for geese anyway.

I would recommend you test some quality 3" waterfowl loads from Kent, Heavyshot etc WITH your hunting jacket/clothes that you will wear on the avg hunting day.

As it relates to the marketing of Benelli it is not misleading if you are versed on the basics of recoil. I own both the old SBE and the SBE2 (as well as several other 3.5inch guns) and there is a large difference in the recoil between the old and the new. The differnce between 3.5 inch guns from one manufacturer to the other is the difference between getting hit in the face with a 15lb hammer or a 30lb hammer. They all hurt.

You won't even notice a thing in hunting situations. Your adrenelin will be rushing through your body so much you won't even here the gun go off. Patterning a gun hurts but that is why you only do it a few times. Any 3.5in gun is going to kick. Like what was said before it is all in what you can handle. I am 6ft 1in 150lbs and I don't feel a thing no matter what I shoot.

Before I got my Gas M4 and had my old Benelli, M2, I was told before I bought it that it was going to kick more because it was a intertia or recoil driven gun.

And it did kick more.

So, generally you have to suck it up and get used to it. If you don't want to get used to it then the only way to go is a gas gun like the Rem 1187. It's heavy, all steel, and gas operated. You can also put in a recoil reducer and decelerator pad or Knox comp stock and porting.

What I has on my old gas gun was the Knox comp stock, look at their website, very amazing vid of on hand shotgun firing. It works.

Then mine was ported on top of that.

Not shure about anyone else. but i generly find the 3 inch game loads to kick more then the buckshot and slug rounds. Maybe because the 3 in game loads i have are 1 and 5/8th oz compared to the slugs of 1 oz or just over one oz. not quite shure what the 3 inch 00 buck or 000 buck weights in at

Jesse

000 buck weighs in at around 720gr and one ounce is 43Xgr. If you are shooting 15-pellet 00, that weighs in at around 780gr or so.

But the recoil from a lousy 2.75" game load is more than I'm used to or care for. That's more to the point.

You really do need to toughen up. You are physically capable of it I am sure, work on the mind. It's like me when I first started doing kung fu. I was scared to death of being punched in the face. After a while, it just became the norm. Suck it up and shoot the thing and you will learn to like it, or maybe im just a sick sick man

You really do need to toughen up. You are physically capable of it I am sure, work on the mind. It's like me when I first started doing kung fu. I was scared to death of being punched in the face. After a while, it just became the norm. Suck it up and shoot the thing and you will learn to like it, or maybe im just a sick sick man

Indeed. If you can't handle 2 3/4 game loads, it's you that is the problem, not the gun.

So learn to love getting punched in the face, like unobtanium here.

I think you are sensitive to recoil. As Benelli4life said when you'r on the field you probably want really take notice to felt recoil. Even at the range when I fire 24grms I do feel more recoil but when hunting I wouldn't even feel anything even when shooting 42grms through my monte super90. If this problem persists than you should go for a heavier gas-operated shotgun.

This issue with recoil is not brand new and it is a tad much for 3.5 " shells but shoulder it tight to your shoulder and enjoy it! Lotta people just go with 3" shells also. If ya can't handle the 2 3/4" sell it to someone that is not recoil sensitive! You will not have a long wait to sell it and will not loose much! Good Luck

SBII is also a pretty light gun so your going to feel it. im 5'9" 190lbs and have no problems. Besides, when im shootin 3.5" its buckshot and at that point there is so much adrenaline from the game, I dont feel a thing =) Make sure you shoulder tightly and maybe practive more....how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Because Benelli makes the gun ...this way.....does not necessarily mean it has to stay ...that way.

www.theosshotguncorner.com

My dove load is 3" , 13/4oz. of nickel plated shot...

...the first 15 doves ...that approached my post ......died!!!

The other shooters couldnt believe their eyes, especially the ones that were holding the original factory made Benellis.

God bless Benelli-Italy and Mr. Theo for I now have the best gun on earth.

Absolutely no problem with recoil.