Disappointed with Benelli rep.

duckht183

I work at Bass Pro Shops in Manteca, CA behind the gun counter so im constantly dealing with customers looking to buy a new shotgun. I've been duck hunting since I was 4 yrs old so I know the importance of having a reliable shotgun in the duck blind.

About a month or so ago the Benelli Rep for our area came into our store and I had a few questions that I needed answers for: For example "What is Benelli doing about their "Benelli Click" problem?" and "Why are the bolt handles falling out of the battery during shots?"

When I asked him these questions there were a good number of people behind the counter that were looking forward towards hearing his answers, but when he walked over to the gun cleaning area and came back with a bottle of Rem Oil he told me to carry this in my wader jacket that way if my SBE II starts to jam up on me and does not want to cycle correctly then all I'd need to do was spray my gun down to fix it.

I stopped him after he made that comment because if I am going to pay $1599 for a shotgun it better fire EVERY TIME and im sure as **** not going to pack Rem Oil with me.

That wasn't necessarly the smartest thing to say..........coming from a Benelli Rep

Beretta Xtrema 2, Winchester SX3, and the Browning Maxus are the three guns I would recommend

I work at Bass Pro Shops in Manteca, CA behind the gun counter so im constantly dealing with customers looking to buy a new shotgun. I've been duck hunting since I was 4 yrs old so I know the importance of having a reliable shotgun in the duck blind.

About a month or so ago the Benelli Rep for our area came into our store and I had a few questions that I needed answers for: For example "What is Benelli doing about their "Benelli Click" problem?" and "Why are the bolt handles falling out of the battery during shots?"

When I asked him these questions there were a good number of people behind the counter that were looking forward towards hearing his answers, but when he walked over to the gun cleaning area and came back with a bottle of Rem Oil he told me to carry this in my wader jacket that way if my SBE II starts to jam up on me and does not want to cycle correctly then all I'd need to do was spray my gun down to fix it.

I stopped him after he made that comment because if I am going to pay $1599 for a shotgun it better fire EVERY TIME and im sure as **** not going to pack Rem Oil with me.

That wasn't necessarly the smartest thing to say..........coming from a Benelli Rep

Beretta Xtrema 2, Winchester SX3, and the Browning Maxus are the three guns I would recommend

Just because one crappy rep with a hair across his arse ticked you off does not mean in any way that Benelli makes bad guns or is a bad gun company. The click that you are referring to (I am going to go out on a limb here and say your talking about the pumps like the Nova and SuperNova) are annoying, yes, but can be resolved with some simple work in the shop. The reason that they click, or at least the word on the street is that its in case the guns get covered with mud and such, having that play which causes the annoying click will allow them to still function properly. You can fix it though. If you are referring to another click, be more specific.

I would never pack Rem Oil with me either, I agree with you 100% on that, you should have told him to find a new day job, considering straight from the Benelli Manual they say not to use any other product on the Benelli guns than the oil they make, which we all know we can't use due to import laws and regulations. Not that having oil with you is a bad idea, I just happen to pack light and again I agree with you, the hunter should not have to worry about that, so long as they have brought a clean gun into the field.

The guy didn't know what he was doing or saying and had no solution (Very Lazy). I get your frustration, but to recommend those guns over Benellis on the Benelli USA Forum is CRAZY!

You may have been with your pop duck hunting since you were 4, but I bet you didn't get your first flyer till you were about 9 or 10 (And that is still pushing it I bet ya). You may work behind the gun counter, but your not out there shooting all of those guns so don't bother saying they are better because of poor Benelli Reps or the Function of any Benelli Model being inadequate to the guns you say duck hunters are better off buying.

The models you recommend are not bad guns but come on man, Cool Off before Posting.

Hope you have a Better Day (Or Month in this Case).

Get out there and Duck Hunt with a Benelli and Cheer up! :)

I am not sure that this is not the place to voice dispeasure with Benelli...I believe that the Benelli Customer Service and Sales would do well to read frustrations and concerns with the gun. I too recently had an issue with my SBE II. I voiced a question in this forum as well. Benelli makes good guns, but I, as a customer, pay more for that quality. In reviewing this site there are a lot of "Fixes" for these rather expensive guns. These should really be handled and fixed immediately. If I buy a Geo Metro, I do not expect the same kind of quality as with a Cadillac. One would assume that this would be the same with a 1500.00 shotgun. Not saying there will never be problems, but they should be fixed immediately without hassle or question. Especially if there is an issue the company is aware of.

$1,500 is a lot for anything, but it is all perspective. They will fix it no questions asked if there is a defect but you have a waiting period while they fix your gun...as expected.

Anyways it still is a $1,500 gun you are talking about. This is relatively inexpensive in the world of shotguns, but with any mechanical device (cars included) there are constant fixes and aftermarket Additions. If you are not satisfied with your gun maybe the gun counter guy can help you out. I personally wouldn't trade any of my Benellis for what he has recommended because I am a Benelli enthusiast.

Some like Ferrari while some like Lamborghini.... Are you a Benelli Guy or are the fixes too much?

Take a gander at any of the other shotgun manufacture forums if they exist...some will...some wont. Check out all the fixes they have to do to their Shotguns (Not one shotgun on Earth is Perfect, or we would all have it). Its the nature of the beast. Love it or Hate it....I am enjoying the whole ride!

Happy Hunting!:D

Rem Oil is crap. I don't even use it on door hinges.

I think the answer was befitting the questions asked.

I agree with Tucksmedicatedpads, the reply seems to fit the level of the question asked.

I hope this story is being told straight, because I'm forwarding it to the regional Benelli rep momentarily.

The correct answers are almost as old as the average age of a BPS Manteca store employee. Clean the gun properly, maintain the gun properly, and assemble the gun properly :)

I can count on a few dozen hands how many people I know that have walked out of BPS Manteca, especially the gun department, because of poor or non-existant service, so one may want to consider the source.

I hope the juice will be worth the squeeze, because this one will be run up the flagpole in record time :D

he walked over to the gun cleaning area and came back with a bottle of Rem Oil he told me to carry this in my wader jacket that way if my SBE II starts to jam up on me and does not want to cycle correctly then all I'd need to do was spray my gun down to fix it.

He probably gets tired of people coming to him and the converstation going like this:

random person: "My benelli doesnt work right it *insert common problem here*"

rep: "well when was the last time you cleaned it?"

random person: "Hmm maybe 2 duck seasons ago..."

rep: "alright well I would start there"

random person: "This is a $1500 gun! it should work great I'm tired of you benelli guys ignoring my simple questions!"

rep: "alright..."

Imagine if people complained about cars the same way they complain about guns and computers...

"Yeah detroit, your car sucks! I paid a lot of money for this car, I shouldnt have to do anything to it to make it work, I never changed the oil, and I ran it pedal to the metal and now it is crashed...."

He probably gets tired of people coming to him and the converstation going like this:

random person: "My benelli doesnt work right it *insert common problem here*"

rep: "well when was the last time you cleaned it?"

random person: "Hmm maybe 2 duck seasons ago..."

rep: "alright well I would start there"

random person: "This is a $1500 gun! it should work great I'm tired of you benelli guys ignoring my simple questions!"

rep: "alright..."

Imagine if people complained about cars the same way they complain about guns and computers...

"Yeah detroit, your car sucks! I paid a lot of money for this car, I shouldnt have to do anything to it to make it work, I never changed the oil, and I ran it pedal to the metal and now it is crashed...."

The thing is, Dodge and GM DO tend to break all the time. Ford has recently improved markedly in the past few years since they ditched the Taurus and came out with a better automatic transmission.

There are two reasons that I said what I did.

Firstly, it sounds like you were trying to set up the rep for mob by asking him ridiculous questions in front of an audience. No one likes to be put on the spot in front of a crowd like that.

Secondly, the two issues you brought up are not indicative of typical Benelli customer experiences.

The Benelli "click" is caused by one single factor - user error.

Anyone who owns a Benelli and who uses it much at all should know that you learn what a properly locked bolt looks like at a glance. If there's any doubt, open it an inch and let it go.

I check mine when I begin walking into the turkey woods, then I check it again before setting up.

Smart hunters make this part of their routine when preparing to setup on a gobbler or when waiting for the next flight.

Dumb ones ignore it and then gripe about it being a design flaw.

I also periodically check my Browning BAR, AR, and my Savage varmint bolt action when hunting. Call me crazy, but I want to make sure that things are ready to go when go time comes around.

Bolt handles flying off?

I've heard of it happening a few times, but the more common issue seems to be, "How do I get this bolt handle out? It's so $&%^ tight!"

So, what exactly is it that you'd have them do?

My own theory is that the majority of lost bolt handles are the result of improper assembly. Again, user error.

In the words of the famous comedian, "You can't fix stupid."

this is a nickname for tucker i havent seen before!! i lol. sorry tucker, not hating here, just thought it was funny. oh, and your RIGHT!!!

Just my typical childish way to repay him for the 'mudlips' comment :)

I don't know Tucker, but I wish I did, seems like one the finest gentlemen I have ever seen on a website.

Together, I bet we could fill some boats and truck beds with god's little creatures....

You know your gun better than we do....I have a good friend with a SBE with the "click" problem. He gave up and put it in the safe. I'm just glad to hear someone at Bass Pro knows something about guns, or at least has an interest in them. Keep up the good work.

I did the same thing as you when I caught the Benelli rep in the store where I bought my Benelli....well sort of (actually went to lunch together). Very nicely, I asked how many cases of heavy loads would I have to fire in my $1000 + gun before I could shoot lighter loads (I'm at about 20 cases/flats at this point--I lost count). He said send it back to Benelli and they would take a look at it. Told him already did that....they said shoot heavy loads. Changed subject after that. Told him I'd just heavy loads and hope for the best. It was obvious he did not have an answer...he was just the salesman or something.

Don't get me wrong, this is my go-to gun. It only jams about 3 out of every box now--getting better. I love the gun.....cleaning is a breeze. Just not what I expected for the price I paid.

By-the-way, I am a police officer and have been cleaning guns for 45 years now. I also own numerous other autos and don't seem to have a problem cleaning guns. None of them click or jam. I clean the gun after every use (maybe that's it--my gun is too clean to operate correctly). I also let the dealer clean just so no one would say "operator error" or I am not cleaning it properly (you hear that one anytime someone says my Benelli won't work). I hear this "you don't know how to clean your gun" excuse for this gun more than any other gun. I am convinced that cleaning has nothing to the Benelli problems. It's just that the Inertia system is a little sensitive. Blaming someone for not cleaning their gun is just an easy out, especially when cleaning a gun is such an easy task. If you get it remotely clean, at $1500, it should shoot.

jed

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 18" barrel, full length mag tube, and ghost ring sights... that has had at least 250 shells ranging from 3" magnum slugs to reduced recoil buck shot, to practice with low brass #8 bird shot, and that gun has never even thought about malfunctioning. Of course, my gun, like all of my firearms, is cleaned spotlessly after every use.

I don't even know what the "click" is... something tells me it might be the sound you hear when you squeeze the trigger on a bolt that isn't fully closed, but I always let the gun work the way it was designed to -- I let the bolt go and let the recoil spring do the job it was designed to do.

I love my Benelli and there isn't a shotgun out there I would trade it for. The Ferrari of shot guns.