Red dot site for M4

Huff64

I have my Remington 870 & Benelli M4 tactical shotguns equipped with Burris FastFire III red dot sights. They're incredibly small and lightweight and they're still working perfectly after withstanding the recoil of, in the case of the FastFire mounted on my M4, over a thousand shotgun shells. The one on my 870 has several hundred firings under its belt so far. I'm so impressed with their performance that I just bought a third one for my other Remington.

Here's a pic of my M4 with its FastFire III.

Benelli_M4_1_internet.jpg

P.S.- I think the next red dot I buy is going to be what Don above has. Not that I have any complaints with the FastFires, but you can't beat the battery life of the Aimpoint optics.

Edited by XTrooper
  • Like 2

If you do go with a LaRue mount you might want to change out your top rail to Kip's Carriercomp rail. The OEM rail has been known to damage the LaRue.

Later,

Hookster :)

Good info, Hookster. I heard the Benelli rail was a little out of spec, but it's not a worry for me because my factory rail was already replaced when I installed the Mesa Tactical shell holder which includes an integral mil-spec rail. :)

That looks like a nice, little optic, truckcop, but I've read complaints from multiple users that the dual illumination model is not always bright enough in sunlight. What has been your experience? Have you ever had trouble picking up the recticle on a bright, sunny day?

Thanks!

Well I can tell you without fear of contradiction that the dual illuminated version is actually TOO bright in bright sunlight. I do live in FL and we do have a few sunny days. In very bright sunlight the dot actually flares badly. There's no real modulation function at the higher end. If you look closely at the picture, you'll see that I've actually taken a black sharpie and blackened the fiber optic cover. Under bright sunlight it cuts down the flare and is still opaque enough to light up on cloudy days or under ambient inside light. Darkness is not a problem because of the tritium.

The real problem I've heard regarding the dual illuminated versions, especially on pistols with mounted lights, is that the dot washes out when illuminating a close-in target with the light and I agree that this is an issue with handgun/light combos. With a shotgun that has a light mounted, if you're close enough to light up the target and the sight dot is washed out, it doesn't matter because you're probably close enough that you don't need the dot anyway. At such a distance, it would also act as a large ghost ring.

Edited by truckcop

I have tried a: T-1, M4s, EoTech(s), Burris FFs and RMR(s). I opted to leave the dual illum RMR on my FNP 45 tactical pistol and use an adjustable ilum model on the M4. Admit to being torn between the various RMR models for the M4, but I find the RMRs to work best and that's what sits on mine now.

xtrooper, what is that shell carrier called and where did you get it? i've modded mine simliar to yours and woul love to have your same set up. how are you liking the surefire forarm?

It's the Mesa Tactical SureShell 6-shell carrier with integral Picatinny rail. Like every other Mesa Tactical shell carrier I have, it fits perfectly and works great.

I like the SureFire forearm a lot. When mounted, it is rock solid and feels good in my hand, especially with the SureFire rubber rail covers. Just be aware that, since it is machined from aircraft aluminum, it is necessarily heavier than the thin plastic halves that make up the factory forearm. If you don't mind a bit of added weight to the forearm area of your gun, I think you'd be happy with it. Like all SureFire stuff, the quality is first rate.

I went with the T1 on a LaRue mount for my M4:

DSC00632.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

These are older pics. Since then, I've added an oversize bolt handle and Surefire Scout light. I went the El Cheap-o route, initially, for the extended mag tube, ( Tac Star, IIRC ) but have a one piece, finished titanium tube and one of their colored followers from Freedom Fighter Tactical currently on the way.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

I have a brand new Bonelli M4 shotgun and I’m looking to purchase a red dot sight where I can still use the iron site that came up on the shotgun as a back up. Looking for recommendations of a site and whether I want it to be able to see the iron sights through the red dot or raised up above the iron sights?

On 12/23/2012 at 9:50 AM, Don Randall said:

I'm using Aimpoint Micro T1 on a LaRue L661 Low Mount. Slugs and 00Buck rounds not effecting mount. The Micro T1 zero has very little drift after many rounds (~100 rds). Can't be exact on zero and number of rounds given I re-zero every range trip with the zero tweak usually very small.

Probably because your LaRue mount is being slowly destroyed, if you're using the OEM rail. Pop it off and look at that recoil lug...

Holy thread reservation! Advice still stands, though.

Edited by Unobtanium