Benelli M4 -- Receiver Extension Removal/Reinstallation Guide

StrangerDanger

• 1 month later...

Update -

I met up with a forum member yesterday to replace his receiver extension. After swapping the extensions, I noticed that the stock was rather loose and sloppy on the three position extension. I tested the users stock on my M4 and found it to be fine. My stock on his new extension had the same sloppy loose feeling. You could rock the tail portion of the stock back and forth about 8 degrees. There was a good chance the stock would have collapsed under recoil. 

Typically these stocks only have about 1-3 degrees of slop. 

Inspection of the extension seemed to show that the notches were not machined properly. The notches appeared to be larger. I’d recommend testing the stock on the extensions before going thru the trouble of tearing the extension.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to be reviving old threads but I had a concern after doing a recoil tube replacement. I followed the guide but the issue now is that it seems I may have screwed the tube in too far. Made it flush with the inside flat of the reciever but now the pistol grip just barely threads on, only about two turns and this experience is telling me two threads isn’t enough.

Mostly just curious how many turns should it be normally, and if the tube being fully flush is necessary.

2 hours ago, K_M said:

Sorry to be reviving old threads but I had a concern after doing a recoil tube replacement. I followed the guide but the issue now is that it seems I may have screwed the tube in too far. Made it flush with the inside flat of the reciever but now the pistol grip just barely threads on, only about two turns and this experience is telling me two threads isn’t enough.

Mostly just curious how many turns should it be normally, and if the tube being fully flush is necessary.

I find 8.5 full turns from when the threads start to engage to be the appropriate depth. Then do your timing adjustment from there with the collapsible stock. Sounds like you're about two rotations past where you want to be.

I dug out a customer's Regal Metal Works 6 position extension to compare to two M1014's I have laying around. The overall length is definitely different. The threads on the RMW do not extend down the extension as far as the OEM. No idea why they would deviate from the OEM pattern they copied.

So you might want to screw in the RMW about 6 full rotations, and see if that corrects your pistol grip issue.

OEM on the left. RMW on the right. Both tubes are set on an even flat surface. My two OEM M1014's are identical height.

f0Guywn.jpg

Edited by StrangerDanger
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I dug out a customer's Regal Metal Works 6 position extension to compare to two M1014's I have laying around. The overall length is definitely different. The threads on the RMW do not extend down the extension as far as the OEM. No idea why they would deviate from the OEM pattern they copied.

So you might want to screw in the RMW about 6 full rotations, and see if that corrects your pistol grip issue.

OEM on the left. RMW on the right. Both tubes are set on an even flat surface. My two OEM M1014's are identical height.

f0Guywn.jpg

Well that definitely confirms my other suspicion. Had gotten the RMW tube but didn’t compare the two before putting it in. I’ll make the adjustments tomorrow.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, StrangerDanger said:

f0Guywn.jpg

Your general thoughts on the 6-position tube?

On 10/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, Doge said:

Yup hand tight.

On the other guns, you just apply thread locker and bottom out the threads. There is literally no way to torque those completely smooth tubes (and these are typically aluminum).

The Ethos of Shot: Benelli Ethos Review

Is that transparent rifle grip stock a real product one can buy?

8 hours ago, iamrt said:

Your general thoughts on the 6-position tube?

They seem to be machined well. Not sure why they skipped the drainage holes though. 

I wouldn’t go out of my way to put a 6 position in over an oem 3 position. I’m not that sensitive to stock length. I usually just throw it fully open. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2013 at 2:01 AM, StrangerDanger said:

056_zpsf3381b92.jpg

Here the Stock Retaining Ring is fully seated. I tap on the Stock Retaining Ring with a large flat punch and a small hammer to make sure it is seated fully.

12. Reassemble the weapon

Perform a function test of the weapon to ensure that it is functioning properly. Ensure that you properly lubricate the Receiver after degreasing the action. You'll notice a difference when you pull the bolt to the rear if you haven't re-lubricated the weapon. I would recommend testing the safety, trigger and disconnector.

That concludes the tutorial on how to disassemble and reassemble the Receiver Extension on the Benelli M4. Hopefully it was clear and will be of use to some users in the future. I will leave the photographs up as long as photobucket remains free.

001_zps6aae5acc.jpg

The way the M4 was meant to be.

Wow. Benelli's new QA/QC. Oof. These new receivers are BLUE! ;)

13 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I think it was mostly the lighting. That was my 11703 from 2004 before I plated it.

My point was to highlight that anodize variance has always been a thing. Check out your trigger guard and stock tube. Those are actually black, as is the rail on top.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Resurrection...

Do we know if the internal parts of a "European" Benelli OEM M4 Recoil Spring Tube Assembly (# 70135) will fit & function properly inside an "American" Benelli OEM M4 Recoil Spring Tube (# 70130)?

I'm trying to "create" a full-up 3 position OEM M4 Recoil Spring Tube Assembly (# 70043) but having trouble finding the separate specific parts to mount an "American" OEM M4 Collapsible Stock (# 70085).

THX in advance for the help / sanity check.

I haven’t handled one to say for certain, but I imagine the internals are the same so they could remain compatible with the pistol grip stock and field stock. I can’t imagine why they’d force themselves into making new parts. However, we are talking Benelli here…

• Like 1

I'm tempted to find out by ordering everything, or I can just wait for them to come back in-stock at MGW. Especially since the M4 Entry I just purchased (# 11729) is in the penalty box pending e-form stamp. FFT's # 70043 are $400+ currently...

OK, CONFIRMED:

All of the internal parts of the 5-Position Tube Assembly (# 70135) are the exact same as the internal parts of the older/previous 3-Position Tube Assembly (# 70043). Verified by two (2) unit armorers and Benelli C.S. today.

This means that I can use the extra OEM M4 Collapsible Stock (# 70085) I have already on the new M4 Entry if I can find a plain 3-Position Tube itself (# 70130). I know the newer LE M4's may have a "better" collapsible stock w/ 5 positions and are now common with LE M3's and SuperNova's, but I like & prefer the classic "look" for the original M4 c-stock. I do see some aftermarket 6-Position tubes out there, but I've yet to hear or see anything on them working out with the older c-stock parts...

Edited by AIRB0RNE6176
Updated info
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AIRB0RNE6176 said:

One last thing...  Does anyone know what the M4 Telescoping Stock Plate is (# 70080)?  I don't see it on the schematics, but I do see them listed on FFT and MGW: 

https://freedomfightertactical.com/products/70080-benelli-m4-oem-plate?_pos=1&_sid=a25f08652&_ss=r 

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/70080 

THX!

That piece fits inside the pistol grip and applies tension as you tighten the grip onto the receiver extension. It's part #120 on this picture.

Benelli_M4_schem.thumb.webp.3cc23e859bf3148dcbede89fdfdd650e.webp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AIRB0RNE6176 said:

OK, CONFIRMED:

All of the internal parts of the 5-Position Tube Assembly (# 70135) are the exact same as the internal parts of the older/previous 3-Position Tube Assembly (# 70043). Verified by two (2) unit armorers and Benelli C.S. today.

This means that I can use the extra OEM M4 Collapsible Stock (# 70085) I have already on the new M4 Entry if I can find a plain 3-Position Tube itself (# 70130). I know the newer LE M4's may have a "better" collapsible stock w/ 5 positions and are now common with LE M3's and SuperNova's, but I like & prefer the classic "look" for the original M4 c-stock. I do see some aftermarket 6-Position tubes out there, but I've yet to hear or see anything on them working out with the older c-stock parts...

Our 6 position recoil tube is only compatible with the original legacy OEM collapsible stock.  So it would work for your needs if I understand you correctly.

• Like 1