Breacher Choke on Benelli M4 affect cycling?

SolidBuilt

I installed a Carlsons breacher choke on my shotgun, and when I took it to the range today, it seemed to have adversely affected the cycling of a few of the rounds. It wouldn't completely eject some of the rounds, and they were also a couple of small jams.  But- There are two variables at play: one was this new choke, and I also used a new type of ammunition I've never used before. It was federal premium hunting ammunition/ rifled slug with 1600 FPS (so, that shouldn't have been the cause...)

Do you think the breacher choke caused the cycling issues?

Screenshot_20220401-122539_Google.jpg

16488522245695980982826788281652.jpg

I can’t imagine the choke causing a failure to cycle. I ran mine wet or well oiled during break in. The M4 seems to like to be lubed. Just a thought. I’ve not had a slug fail to cycle. 

Edited by JT111

1 minute ago, Unobtanium said:

Brakes increase backpressure on a system and will often enhance cycling velocity. In broad strokes/as a rule.

So... sounds like the brake should help, right?? Here's what was happening: I'd shoot a few rounds, and then an empty shell would get stuck and not fully eject.... so, I'd flick it out with my fingers, pull the charging handle and keep shooting, then 4 or 5 rounds later, same thing would happen again... 

22 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

That is truly odd with that ammo.

Yes it is....

Does you M4 cycle well with a standard velocity loads and the new “breacher” tube in place? (I cannot see any reason why that breacher tube affect reliability.)

@SolidBuilt Those 1600 fps slugs are a very “hot” load and no doubt recoil is significant. Any chance you are anticipating the recoil after firing a few rounds and letting the gun move too much?

Edited by Steve Rose

54 minutes ago, Steve Rose said:

Yes it is....

Does you M4 cycle well with a standard velocity loads and the new “breacher” tube in place? (I cannot see any reason why that breacher tube affect reliability.)

@SolidBuilt Those 1600 fps slugs are a very “hot” load and no doubt recoil is significant. Any chance you are anticipating the recoil after firing a few rounds and letting the gun move too much?

Yes... there's a good chance I wasn't shouldering the shotgun securely enough... I installed my new holosun 508t and I was more focused on groups and zeroing it in...

I'm going back next week, and I'm going to shoot again while making sure the shotgun is 100% secured against my shoulder...

Also- with the breacher choke on, the gun produced a ton of black smoke. When I shot 6 or so shots in a row, my lane at the range was just covered in black smoke... this excessive black smoke never occurred before, and only occurred with the breacher choke on... so, there's something going on with backpressure or lag time or something different due to the choke....

5 hours ago, SolidBuilt said:

Also- with the breacher choke on, the gun produced a ton of black smoke. When I shot 6 or so shots in a row, my lane at the range was just covered in black smoke... this excessive black smoke never occurred before, and only occurred with the breacher choke on... so, there's something going on with backpressure or lag time or something different due to the choke....

You changed back to the original and saw the problem go away I assume?

20 minutes ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

I have a Carlson's breacher choke on one of my M4's and have not experienced either cycling issues or black smoke with it, I really don't see how the choke could cause either problem. Have you tried other ammo with it and do those problems persist?

That was the first time I used my breacher choke and also the first time with that ammo. 

I've read that the increased back pressure from a suppressor can cause carbon and has to get blasted into the action and also causes lag/ smoke to build up... wondering if the choke could have a similar affect ??  Maybe it's the ammo?? I'll know later this week... 

2 hours ago, SolidBuilt said:

That was the first time I used my breacher choke and also the first time with that ammo. 

I've read that the increased back pressure from a suppressor can cause carbon and has to get blasted into the action and also causes lag/ smoke to build up... wondering if the choke could have a similar affect ??  Maybe it's the ammo?? I'll know later this week... 

suppressors compress your gasses and help things become subsonic if I am not mistaken.  What you have just redirects the gasses outward. As many have said it’s unlikely.   I suggest you take it off and shoot the same shells.  See if there is something else going on.  if there isn’t talk with the manufacturer and ask some questions.  I don’t know much but this is likely what I would do.

• Upvote 1

Might still be in your break in period. I'd lubricate it heavily in the bolt carrier. Manually cycle the action a thousand times or so to really get the surfaces self polishing. Another option to try is to try the shotgun with the original choke and the aftermarket one to see if it affects function.

Any other modifications done to the trigger pack?

• Upvote 1

I put 50 slugs through my shotgun today without the breacher choke- no problems whatsoever.. . However, I made sure I had it properly shouldered, and I lubed it good prior... I think it's the choke I had on (..MPN 85006) its the cheaper one that emphasizes "breacher"... I'm keeping it off, and will put the newer model on that I bought online and will try that one out... ( MPN: 84130)... this one is twice as much and emphasizes "tactical"... maybe there's a difference... we'll see