4 in tube, 1 in chamber and ghost load?

SuzukiGS750EZ

For starters it's inadvisable to have one's weapon in battery UNLESS one is poised to shoot while training, practicing, hunting game or varmints, etc. Having a weapon in battery should never be regarded as a casual thing, it's a setup for a negligent discharge. Even highly trained cops have been known to have a negligent discharge because they forgot what condition their weapon was in. I'm extremely deliberate when having a weapon in battery, and I never leave a long arm in battery when not immediately in my hands or momentarily set down. My loaded semi-auto pistols (i.e. in battery) are always holstered in a level 1 retention holster if not on my body and the revolvers I have loaded are holstered and out of reach except for my own access. For me my holstered handguns = loaded, ready to go bang when you pull the trigger. With a modicum of training it only takes a split second to bring a Benelli semi-auto shotgun into battery, so there's really no advantage to keeping a round in the chamber as much as possible. And if doing social work one is definitely not going to be wandering around with a round in the chamber, that's simply a disaster looking for a place to happen. Be safe. As for 3" rounds, that's just a waste of magazine space to gain 3-4 pellets over 2 3/4" shells, e.g. one can get equivalent velocity or better out of Federal 12700 or Black Aces 00 buck both in 2 3/4" shells. There are other reasons for not using 3" shells. 

If you're interested in upping your capacity on the shotgun then I recommend using a shot shell card on the side of the receiver and a stock sleeve that holds 5 rounds, that combo has the potential to give you up to 17-18 rounds total in/on the shotgun (if a five round magazine) the moment you pick it up. In a storm you're just going to grab your gun and join the party, in exigent circumstances there's no time to be screwing around grabbing other stuff to suit up with, you're going to grab it and go, better make it as good as possible.

Again, DO NOT treat a long arm (or any arm) in battery casually, ever.

• Upvote 1

This thread got off topic a bit, but talking about how I usually carry my M4 (in the woods on my hikes and walks).  No shell in the chamber, but I have a shell on the carrier, all I have to do is rack the bolt and I’m good to go.

Just one way to go, but when I’m with my kids and dog, I don’t want something stupid to happen with a loaded shotgun in battery and would rather have a quick rack of the bolt to get my shotgun ready if I ever need it.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the inquire, with  great respect I will not be sharing this information with you, my apologies.  I will say I replace 5 – 10 Carrier Latches per year,  causes would include and not limited to:

Carrier Latch Face Wear

Magazine Tube Extension/Spring Calibrations

Out Of Tolerance – Carrier Latch Radius - multiple

Ghost Loading & similar

Carrier Latch wear contact points with drop shell lever

Drop shell levers which control the Carrier Latch

Carrier Latch modification

Carrier Latch Setup

Perhaps at some point when this surfaces again, I can create a photo slide show that may assist in documenting all of these causes and effects.  Having worked on more than 1400 Benelli’s these are my finding yours may be different, I am not discounting your experience, which is respected and robust.  I have a 99.78% first time success rate, 100% success rate – completed.  900 Plus Quardra fit fittings.

Thank you for your great additions and knowledge to the forum.

3 hours ago, remarkable said:

Thank you for the inquire, with  great respect I will not be sharing this information with you, my apologies.  I will say I replace 5 – 10 Carrier Latches per year,  causes would include and not limited to:

Carrier Latch Face Wear

Ghost Loading & similar

Carrier Latch Setup

Perhaps at some point when this surfaces again, I can create a photo slide show that may assist in documenting all of these causes and effects.  Having worked on more than 1400 Benelli’s these are my finding yours may be different, I am not discounting your experience, which is respected and robust.  I have a 99.78% first time success rate, 100% success rate – completed.  900 Plus Quardra fit fittings.

Thank you for your great additions and knowledge to the forum.

A simple “I don’t know” would have sufficed. Everything past “ I will not share this information.”  Has as much credibility and/or usefulness as your initial claim without an explanation. Sorry OP didn’t mean to derail your post.

Edited by Fullassault
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fullassault said:

A simple “I don’t know” would have sufficed. Everything past “ I will not share this information.”  Has as much credibility as your initial claim without an explanation. Sorry OP didn’t mean to derail your post.

It’s all good. My main question was more so, I tried to fit 7 but only got 6. Is this the consensus across the board? My state isn’t an easy state gun wise so I’m stuck with a 5 round tube unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fullassault said:

A simple “I don’t know” would have sufficed. Everything past “ I will not share this information.”  Has as much credibility and/or usefulness as your initial claim without an explanation. Sorry OP didn’t mean to derail your post.

Nice Try!  All you did was damage your own credibilty.  

That's pretty slick you were able to get 5 3" shells in there. I run a 5rd tube and although I haven't tried, I know I couldn't do the same because it's tight with 5 2 3/4s. I use Federal FC rounds because I have a ton of em, and they run a bit long. Interestingly, with my OEM spring, I couldn't fit 5. I bought a Carrier Comp spring and still couldn't fit 5 without cutting coils. I was also using the OEM follower. I then got a follower with a flat face, as well as a new Carrier Comp spring and can load 5 2 3/4 rounds. I thought maybe since the rounds had been in the tube compressed for over a month the crimps had gotten compressed, but I tried about 40 fresh rounds out the ammo can and they all fit. Go figure. 

24 minutes ago, Fullassault said:

Im not the one who dropped a claim and then failed to back it up when called out! 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I was planning at some point to create a slide show like "Understanding Light Strikes"

This would cover some if not all Carrier Latch issues that I see and have listed previously:

Carrier Latch Face Wear

Ghost Loading & similar

Carrier Latch Setup

Since this did not meet your timline or nature and scope you went into attack mode.  Honestly did you know about the details "Understanding Light Strikes".

Personally I have read some of your posts, credit givin to your contributions to the forum.

image.thumb.png.7632d91af47ca1de9dab70e18e61dd66.png

32 minutes ago, remarkable said:

I was planning at some point to create a slide show like "Understanding Light Strikes"

This would cover some if not all Carrier Latch issues that I see and have listed previously:

Carrier Latch Face Wear

Ghost Loading & similar

Carrier Latch Setup

Since this did not meet your timline or nature and scope you went into attack mode.  Honestly did you know about the details "Understanding Light Strikes".

Personally I have read some of your posts, credit givin to your contributions to the forum.

image.thumb.png.7632d91af47ca1de9dab70e18e61dd66.png

I along with several others asked a simple question, how does ghost loading damage the carrier latch since YOU brought up the subject “ this is a good recipe to damage the carrier latch”  I was genuinely curious until you started avoiding answering the question. Usually only one reason people do that so of course I’m going to start questioning the validity of the original assertion especially after refusing to answer a simple question that would clear everything up.  Now I’m asking myself why all the deflecting , redirecting & condescendence on top of everything else over a single simple question you brought up….. eh anyways…. If the M1014 survives the USMC teaching & utilizing it, it will survive me doing it occasionally as well. It’s on page 24 & 25 of the USMC operators manual for those interested. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Fullassault said:

I along with several others asked a simple question, how does ghost loading damage the carrier latch since YOU brought up the subject “ this is a good recipe to damage the carrier latch”  I was genuinely curious until you started avoiding answering the question. Usually only one reason people do that so of course I’m going to start questioning the validity of the original assertion especially after refusing to answer a simple question that would clear everything up.  Now I’m asking myself why all the deflecting , redirecting & condescendence on top of everything else over a single simple question you brought up….. eh anyways…. If the M1014 survives the USMC teaching & utilizing it, it will survive me doing it occasionally as well. It’s on page 24 & 25 of the USMC operators manual for those interested. 

Thank you for pointing out the USMC Operators Manual, if you continue to read the manual and think about it, you will have all your answers in the timeframe that you can control.  

I did not see anything in the manual about "Understanding Light Strikes".  

Thank you for knowledge and insights you bring to the forum.