• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benelli Forums
tucker301

The 2008-2009 Waterfowl Photo Thread

GSP - German Shorthaired Pointer

Uli - pronounced ooo-lee

I haven't used him to retrieve ducks. I think he would, but by the time waterfowl season gets here it's usually pretty cold and I think I'd just freeze him out if I took him with me.

GSP - German Shorthaired Pointer

If I had seen just the head and face I would have guessed chocolate lab.

I'm more used to seeing the full-body speckle on GSP's.

'course, I don't see a lot of GSP's. :o

Wildfowler, thanks for the contribution.

Our first general duck split opens here Oct. 9th - 11th.

I'm hoping to go out all three days.

We had a good early split opener.

Number 10 was knocked down, but we were unable to recover him (drake woodie).

Thought the dog had it on the other side of the creek, but she didn't come back with it and a ground and water search turned up nothing.

I hate to lose one, but it happens.

10-9-08.jpg

Nice but I think I'm going to cry. Should be another excellent season up in Idaho but I'm stuck working way down here in Phoenix until mid November and then it looks like I'll be sent to Los Angeles of all places. Maybe I'll get a week or two off between projects.

That's a tough situation.

I imagine there aren't too many ducks around Phoenix and LA, except for parks and golf courses.

I hope you get some breaks and the chance to do some hunting.

Tucker, its amazing how much color your birds are showing in your part of the country. Up here most the early birds look pretty drab compared to the ones you shot. Our wood duck are just starting to show color, and the teal are basically brown with a few splotches of blue or green.

Nice work.

If your duck has any resemblance to liver you are over cooking it. My experiance is mainly with rice or grain feed puddle ducks or rice feed ring biils or scaup. Grill the breasts med. rare like a good steak and I think you will be happy.

Get ready for the migrating birds to come down south. In Wisconsin we saw a lot of birds come through the last 4 days, it looks like the cold weather up north is starting to push them down.

We had a great weekend hunting; nice mallards shot with a mixed bag of, teal, widgeon, divers, and a few geese.

Our north zone opens this weekend but I usually don't go. Too many hunters and not enough places to go. That and my son's first birthday is this weekend...Man how times flies.

I speculate our southern zone season will another 3 weeks before freeze up or all the birds have made their way through. Myself and friend killed about 40 ducks and 4 geese in the last 4 days, just lots of big fat targets out there and some days they are even kind of dumb.