my 900 lumen day maker!!

texas skeeter

Unless that is on it's lowest setting, that is only about 150-200L at the very best. 900L OTF is not possible through an LED without a quad-die using DD and IMR power-source, and even then run-time is still limited because we cannot heat-sink the dies well enough at that level of output yet.

Honestly, 900L might require multiple single/quad dies placed on a board with individual reflectors/optics wired togather. 900L is a TON!

The most you will see at this stage of the game in anything you want hanging on an AR/Shotgun is around 4-600L. Yes, you could hang a DD P7 in a bored out 6P, but that is something only a hardcore flashaholic would do (would get you 5-700L), and I have never seen anyone do that. Once you get THAT into flashlights, it is your primary hobby, not your secondary hobby for the purpose of procuring a weapon-light. Most people buy some crappy chinese drop-in and leave it at that believing whatever the package says.

The right way to do it is to buy a 6PD and one of TNVC's adapters and their new TX4 head, which they CLAIM puts out 600 OTF Lumens, but which I suspect in reality puts out around 400 or so (due to claimed run-time and the binning of the quad-dies used). Either the lumen output is off, the run-time is off, or the circuitry is VERY VERY VERY! advanced. The most likely is that circuitry is on-par with the rest of the community, run-time is +- 5-10 minutes, and the lumens are off. I would bet it is 4-475 OTF L. Still, this is an EXCELLENT! unit based on the beam-shots I have seen, and the price ($200 total for the whole thing if you build it). IT appears to have good spill and a nice hot-spot. I do not know the 1m or 3m LUX ratings, yet. I have asked.

Or a used M600C (180L average, but with GREAT! throw).

Or a 6PD and Malkoff M60 (220-240L avg, GREAT! spill, GOOD throw).

Or a 6PD with a Malkof MC-E (450-550 OTF L, All spill, moderate throw).

PS. He is a real 180-190 OTF L (measured in a properly calibrated IS) in my living-room:

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/19-094215L/9062/jpg/05/2010/img6/glowfoto

Edited by Unobtanium

I peg it at 150-200, probably closer to 150.

Yep.

Sure looks it.

It's like the VORTEX INTAKE ADDONS that claim to add UP TO 15 HP by increasing the air velocity, but 10x worse.

Lumen ratings are perhaps the most abused and inaccurate "scientific metric" ever created.

It's turned into a pure marketing ploy, where the claimed number of lumens has absolutely no bearing on the true OTF lumens.

Surefire claimed 120 lumens for ages on LEDs that put out 180-220 lumens ... and every cheap light you find claims 500+ lumens and really puts out ~150.

What a joke.

Yep.

Sure looks it.

It's like the VORTEX INTAKE ADDONS that claim to add UP TO 15 HP by increasing the air velocity, but 10x worse.

Lumen ratings are perhaps the most abused and inaccurate "scientific metric" ever created.

It's turned into a pure marketing ploy, where the claimed number of lumens has absolutely no bearing on the true OTF lumens.

Surefire claimed 120 lumens for ages on LEDs that put out 180-220 lumens ... and every cheap light you find claims 500+ lumens and really puts out ~150.

What a joke.

+1

Lots of them claim "emitter lumens" but don't specify, and people think that means OTF, but these 900+ lumen claims are just random BS numbers that someone thought would sell (sadly it does).