My M4

muffpirate

2.2 lbs. is a LOT of extra weight on a long arm intended for fast handling. All that extra weight means one has much more inertia to overcome when bringing it to bear, and in the middle of a s**t blizzard nanoseconds can determine whether one is 'quick' or 'dead'. Those who build performance cars seek to decrease their unsprung weight for very good reason.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in your opinion is the Surefire rail a no go either? Too heavy? Thank you!!

That is subjective, for a home-defense weapon, it allows a light, and I doubt you will carry it far. For a patrol weapon or something you will be carrying around, etc. I think it adds a noticeable amount of weight.

It does make the weapon harder to swing, but one assumes in a home-entry defense type situation you will already have the lines of fire mapped out and there won't be a whole lot of swinging the weapon around as you will just use your fatal funnel and let them come to you.

Hello all. Here's mine. Just holding out for the CC black charging handle :(

Enjoy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1074[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1072[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1073[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1070[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1071[/ATTACH]

Hi mate awesome set up. Question what Leupold size is that? Doesn't look like a delta, and doesn't look like the larger one.

If it's the small one would you rather the 7.5 or is the smaller one the go. I'm looking at importing some sights to go with a (hopefully) forthcoming M4 - Australian Customs make it rather difficult so need to pick right.

Cheers

2.2 lbs. is a LOT of extra weight on a long arm intended for fast handling. All that extra weight means one has much more inertia to overcome when bringing it to bear, and in the middle of a s**t blizzard nanoseconds can determine whether one is 'quick' or 'dead'. Those who build performance cars seek to decrease their unsprung weight for very good reason.

I believe that the loadout has to do entirely with the purpose of the weapon. If the weapon is to be used in competition for example then the modifications would be totally different than if it were to be used for hunting, military or HD scenarios.

For instance in a HD scenario you would probably want a flashlight which, for the M4, automatically means a hand guard with a rail.

In any situation that you choose I believe you build the gun to your specs and then train constantly and consistently.

In some cases that might mean lightning the weapon in other cases that my mean doing some pushups so you arms can easily handle the load.

When I started training with my M4 my shoulder was soar and the weapon seemed heavy. Now I can go through a couple of hundred rounds with no problem and manipulate the weapon easily.

So in your opinion is the Surefire rail a no go either? Too heavy? Thank you!!

the surefire rail does not weigh in much more then the factory rails by far and if you reduce weights with other items everything works out... and also the weight of a firearm imho has nothing to do with home defense because in all cases you will be FILLED with so much adrenoline that you will notice nothing!

the surefire rail does not weigh in much more then the factory rails by far and if you reduce weights with other items everything works out... and also the weight of a firearm imho has nothing to do with home defense because in all cases you will be FILLED with so much adrenoline that you will notice nothing!

It's not about "oh, I don't want to lift it it's so heavy", it's about being a split second slower between target transitions. Weight on the front of a firearm is the worst possible place regarding split times. The rail + VFG + light can easily add up to robbing some time between targets.

It's something everyone must weigh for themselves.

On a side note regarding a high capacity mag shotgun loaded down with a sidesaddle or other shell holders on the gun, a fellow I know who was Force Recon in the 'nam with behind the lines experience (bona fide, and at the time he was issued an AKS by the Marines, however later he and his buddies 'stole' M14s from the Army) is amused at the notion of shotguns with magazines of greater than five rounds capacity. He says something along the lines of "If you can't solve your problem with 5-6 rounds, then you brought the wrong gun to the fight." Personally I like high cap mags on shotguns, however I draw the line at limiting the rounds the shotgun carries to those in the mag. If you need more than what the mag is holding, then I would suggest a bandoleer or four - 'cause if you need more than what the magazine holds you need LOTS more, imo.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

On a side note regarding a high capacity mag shotgun loaded down with a sidesaddle or other shell holders on the gun, a fellow I know who was Force Recon in the 'nam with behind the lines experience (bona fide, and at the time he was issued an AKS by the Marines, however later he and his buddies 'stole' M14s from the Army) is amused at the notion of shotguns with magazines of greater than five rounds capacity. He says something along the lines of "If you can't solve your problem with 5-6 rounds, then you brought the wrong gun to the fight." Personally I like high cap mags on shotguns, however I draw the line at limiting the rounds the shotgun carries to those in the mag. If you need more than what the mag is holding, then I would suggest a bandoleer or four - 'cause if you need more than what the magazine holds you need LOTS more, imo.

Note that his primary weapon held over 20 rounds without having to re-load...

If I recall, the Surefire M80 weighed 5 ounces over the weight of the factory handguards. The trouble is, once you start slapping accessories on it, the weight goes up rapidly. Even adding rail covers alone will add another 2 - 4 ounces. Add a AFG or a FVG, and add another 3, 4 or 5 ounces. Add a light like a Surefire Scout, add another 5 ounces. So right there alone you've added a pound of weight.

The factory handguards are far more comfortable than the M80 is. The only reason to use an M80 is if you have a weapon light to mount, or if you just cannot live without a FVG of some sort.

Spend extra if a lighter weight option for parts exist. Titanium full length magazine tubes are a no-brainer in my opinion. The weight savings offsets the weight gained by the extra capacity.

Interesting mount. Here are more photographs of it.

http://www.corpstechgroup.com/CTG_S_BLAM4.php

I haven't thought of a method of installing it with a sling and a light both on the left side of the weapon. The amount of rail provided isn't enough. I may buy one when they are back in stock to move my sling mount on a QD mount further forward.

If you do not use a sling, this mount would easily replace a Surefire M80. I believe you could even use a GearSector offset mount for a Scout light to position the light in an ideal location. It also appears that the mount can be flipped so that the rails face forward rather than towards the handguard. So you could push a mounted light pretty far forward.

Not necessarily, you can use the tail cap switch with your thumb. That's how I run my AR. This just saved me from buying the Surefire. Thank you!!

I have a X400 with no gun to put it on. not sure how that would work with out the tape switch. but you have a good point on a normal light.

please keep us posted after you get it with a lil review if you dont mind.

Interesting mount. Here are more photographs of it.

http://www.corpstechgroup.com/CTG_S_BLAM4.php

I haven't thought of a method of installing it with a sling and a light both on the left side of the weapon. The amount of rail provided isn't enough. I may buy one when they are back in stock to move my sling mount on a QD mount further forward.

If you do not use a sling, this mount would easily replace a Surefire M80. I believe you could even use a GearSector offset mount for a Scout light to position the light in an ideal location. It also appears that the mount can be flipped so that the rails face forward rather than towards the handguard. So you could push a mounted light pretty far forward.

ya looks good in those pictures. I wonder if i could dremil it out and fit it so the rail is on the bottom? That sure would help my OCD and things having to be perfectly balanced

ya looks good in those pictures. I wonder if i could dremil it out and fit it so the rail is on the bottom? That sure would help my OCD and things having to be perfectly balanced

Then you can look forward to bending the mount, scuffing/breaking the light, whatever else if you ever rest the fore-end on something when firing.

Sometimes aesthetics and symmetry must take a back seat to performance. I suffer the same, so I understand your desire, but a compromise is in order in some cases I have found.

It wouldn't be very easy to do anyway. Sure, you could cut off the sling loop, but you'd need to cut the groove that indexes the mount in one spot. I think they cut it back too much inside the sling loop to engage the barrel.

If the fit of the mount is as loose as the factory sling mount, your light is going to be moving quite a bit. I'm considering one solely to push my QD mount from GearSector onto. That way it isn't anywhere near my weapon light to obstruct my hand from activating the momentary/constant on button.

I agree with Unobtanium on the balance of the weapon. I'd rather everything be even, but it just isn't feasible. What I have found is that it is better to pull the offset mounted object closer to the center line of the weapon. The further you get away from the center line, the more leverage works against you. Plus the object snags more then.

That's why I put together the Surefire M80 with the GearSector offset mount and a Scout light. The fit is tight against the barrel of the weapon. So much so I had to modify the rubber of the M80 to allow the GearSector mount to fit.

c007.jpg

c004.jpg

If I recall, the Surefire M80 weighed 5 ounces over the weight of the factory handguards. The trouble is, once you start slapping accessories on it, the weight goes up rapidly. Even adding rail covers alone will add another 2 - 4 ounces. Add a AFG or a FVG, and add another 3, 4 or 5 ounces. Add a light like a Surefire Scout, add another 5 ounces. So right there alone you've added a pound of weight.

The factory handguards are far more comfortable than the M80 is. The only reason to use an M80 is if you have a weapon light to mount, or if you just cannot live without a FVG of some sort.

Spend extra if a lighter weight option for parts exist. Titanium full length magazine tubes are a no-brainer in my opinion. The weight savings offsets the weight gained by the extra capacity.

Do you have weight differences between the stock tube and the titanium tube ?

carriercomp states that their titanium tube weighs 5.5 ounces. The factory tube is about 10.5 ounces. So you'll reduce the front end weight roughly 5 ounces. However, with a full length tube, you will be adding two additional rounds. Each round weighs approximately 2 ounces.

Without a doubt it is worth it though. Since if you went with a steel unit, you'd have the 10.5 ounces, plus the weight of the extra ammunition. Plus, steel can rust. There is YouTube video of the titanium tubes used to make carriercomp's tubes being run over by a truck without deforming.

The coating carriercomp uses is extremely tough. I figured it would scratch off from me pulling the barrel assembly over it. I was looking at it earlier today, and there isn't a single mark on it. I've had the tube installed since 2009.

Plus, all the extra goodies you get from carriercomp are nice. The Wolff spring is much better than the factory piece of crap. Your shells will eject onto the elevator with authority. The US made follower is a nice feature to bring you one part closer to 922 compliance.

STRANGER I wonder if you got the right gear sector? I got one after you recomend it and it mounted no problems no cutting at all. I just could not get over the X400 on the side like that and it was just a bit to tight for my hand placement( took up to much room even all the way foward). but I do like your set up pictured above the tail cap switch looks like that way to go for sure.

The scout light fits nice and tight also looks good.

Perhaps the design is slightly different between the X400 rail section mount and the Scout series? Or were you mounting directly to the side rails? Looking at the pictures below, it appears the Scout mount rides closer to the rail.

?filename=57a01ab13fecc480be9d701b47dccbec.jpg304ed95da3dc452f824d09425c2da90e.jpg

I have two Scout offset mounts, both of them are the same dimensions. I don't mind the modifications. It pulls the light close to the center line of the weapon. The X300 and X400 are pretty bulky compared to the Scout series. Plus the laser of the X400 would be a real PITA to sight in with it mounted at a 45 degree angle.

Edited by StrangerDanger