Best Charging Handle?

Lieb

I just yesterday, received GG&G from Midwayusa. It is being sent back because once inserted, when raked back, it comes loose. I tried many times tying to make sure it was inserted correctly, but every time I racked it back, it came loose.

I just received a Taran Tactical CH for my benelli M3. I like the feel and it fits perfectly with no spin, but it weighs 22 grams, twice that of the OEM. Why the hel* does a company who produces reduced weight bolt carrier groups make ridiculously heavy charging handles to attach to them. I may try to hollow out the handle to reduce the weight or just go back to the OEM M3 CH. WTF...

Probably because that difference doesn't have any effect on the operation of the gun.

So the additional weight on the BCG will have no effect on an inertia driven shotgun? I suppose with magnum loadings it would not matter, but it has always been my impression that cycling will be impaired with reduced power rounds. Why does Taran Tactical sell light weight BCG's if it "doesn't have ay effect on the operation of the gun"?

So the additional weight on the BCG will have no effect on an inertia driven shotgun? I suppose with magnum loadings it would not matter, but it has always been my impression that cycling will be impaired with reduced power rounds. Why does Taran Tactical sell light weight BCG's if it "doesn't have ay effect on the operation of the gun"?

Well, I doubt he would sell a charging handle, whatever the weight, that would have an obviously negative effect on the gun's operation. Have you actually shot your gun with the TT handle and had cycling problems when the OEM didn't? Has anyone who replaced their OEM handle with a TT had any such problems? I've shot my older M1's and newer M2's with just about every handle out there using OEM bolts and never had one issue based on that change. In each case, I've always gone back to the OEM flat handle because I like their ergonomics better than the wide round, skinny round, hourglass shaped, titanium, steel, aluminum (yes, at one time, somebody made an aluminum one - don't ask), and whatever anybody else came up with.

Well, I doubt he would sell a charging handle, whatever the weight, that would have an obviously negative effect on the gun's operation. Have you actually shot your gun with the TT handle and had cycling problems when the OEM didn't? Has anyone who replaced their OEM handle with a TT had any such problems?

No, USPS just delivered it this morning. I will test it out over the weekend with federal reduced power Tru-ball slugs and flight control buckshot to see if it effects cycling. A few months ago, I tried the Taran Tactical reduced power hammer spring and was plagued with light strikes even though they advertise 100% reliability.

Edited by 00stormbringer

So the additional weight on the BCG will have no effect on an inertia driven shotgun?

The Benelli inertia driven bolt gun cycling reliability is generally not impaired until the weight of the accessories on the gun equal or exceed the bolt weight......regardless of their location. The 20 gauge M1-M2 bolts weigh about 385 grams; the 12 gauge bolts 500 grams. The 20 gauge with a 2-shot extension plus 2 cartridges weighs ~ 365 grams; In 12 gauge, a 2 shot extension PLUS two 3" cartridges total just about 500 grams. The available aftermarket charging handles weigh 10-20 grams !

Edited by benelliwerkes

The Benelli inertia driven bolt gun cycling reliability is generally not impaired until the weight of the accessories on the gun equal or exceed the bolt weight......regardless of their location. The 20 gauge M1-M2 bolts weigh about 385 grams; the 12 gauge bolts 500 grams. The 20 gauge with a 2-shot extension plus 2 cartridges weighs ~ 365 grams; In 12 gauge, a 2 shot extension PLUS two 3" cartridges total just about 500 grams. The available aftermarket charging handles weigh 10-20 grams !

Thank You!

Word is, this fall.

I contacted Marcy at CarrierComp. She said they were indeed going to produce charging handles this fall, but was uncertain when they would be available. After they are made they are subcontracted out to apply the black finish which takes longer than she would like.

So Unobtanium you are correct. It's only a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, Salient Arms does a lot of work on Benellis and from the pictures I've seen, they have an oversized charging handle. I have no idea what it's made out of or if they are willing to sell you one. But given the delay with Carrier Comp and the lack of other QUALITY choices, it might be worth a quick email to Salient to see if it can be purchased. They're stuff ain't junk, for sure. I suspect it's pretty high quality. Just an idea.

Has anyone contacted FFT and voiced their concerns so they can rectify the issue? I have there Ti full tube and think it's rather nice. I also would like a larger charging handle but can't see purchasing the FFT with all the complaints.

They will just deny deny deny and politely offer a refund.

"No, a loose-fitting handle or a handle that falls out is definitely not normal. You are welcome to return it to us for a full refund on the part. Our existing stock has the same cuts on the tang and it's unlikely that a replacement will net different results. We're looking into the issue that some are having, as it isn't happening on many guns but it can happen as reported. To date, we've not been able to duplicate the problem, whether it be with new stock or a returned handle. We've got 7 Benelli M4s for testing, too." -- FFT