BENELLI OPTIC RAIL The decisive Trijicon RMR mount for the Benelli m4

heckler&kochp2000

Scalarworks, is it correct that you do not need the Benelli Rail Washers for your rail?

Also, on my two (both NP3+) I use the following RMR. Nickel plated and no batteries required :)

Trijicon RMR Nickel Boron Dual Illum. Sight - 9.0 MOA Green Dot RM05-C-700065

That's correct. No washers needed. The current BOR/RMR comes with its own screws. It no longer uses the proprietary factory Benelli M4 screws.

Thanks for share your RMR choice.

Thanks for the information. I hear ya on being cautious. Everyone is a sad panda when they have to go get helicoils installed in their receiver to fix the stripped out threads.

I have the same preference for RMR's. For my personal two, I went with the RM01's. Just let them burn away for a year or two, and swap batteries.

Thanks, SD. We like the RM01 as well. The 3.25MOA dot feels just right.

To answer your earlier question about helicoils; no, the BOR/RMR doesn't have helicoils. The #6-32 holes are just plugged before anodizing. We cold form the threads and the BOR/RMR is made from ultra strong 7075-T6.

Edited by Scalarworks

I did some more day/night testing on the Trijicon RMR R01, 3moa LED model. This is the constant on, no external buttons, no ability to turn it on or off other than pulling out the battery.

I'm liking it better than the Aimpoint T1 and the Trijicon RMR Adjustable LED model. The reason being is the auto adjusting LED. Moving from different lighting settings, the LED model adjusts automatically. So in the dark, you aren't overpowering the FOV. Then when you move into a lit area, the dot's power increases automatically. Rather than having to adjust it manually like the LED Adjustable model or the venerable Aimpoint T1.

Another plus is if you're storing the weapon in a safe, the dark safe will keep the power use pretty low.

The middle position is perfect height for the Scalarworks/RMR mount height.

I did some more day/night testing on the Trijicon RMR R01, 3moa LED model. This is the constant on, no external buttons, no ability to turn it on or off other than pulling out the battery.

I'm liking it better than the Aimpoint T1 and the Trijicon RMR Adjustable LED model. The reason being is the auto adjusting LED. Moving from different lighting settings, the LED model adjusts automatically. So in the dark, you aren't overpowering the FOV. Then when you move into a lit area, the dot's power increases automatically. Rather than having to adjust it manually like the LED Adjustable model or the venerable Aimpoint T1.

Another plus is if you're storing the weapon in a safe, the dark safe will keep the power use pretty low.

The middle position is perfect height for the Scalarworks/RMR mount height.

The only reviews that complained about that version said, if you are shooting from cover onto a bright target that the Dot washed out. The video I saw was what a Sniper might do. The shooter was shooting from a heavily wooded area onto the side of a hill that was brightly lit with no cover. There is really no way for the electronic eye to cover that scenario. Absolute Sniper scenario.

Combat situations at night would be pretty good mostly except for the same scenario where you are in real Darkness and are shooting into a very brightly lit area.

I'd be curious if you run up against those settings what your thoughts are.

Especially since I ain't bought mine yet...

Edited by les_garten

I could see it being an issue on a long range precision optic. However, on this combination, your iron sights are literally co-witnessing the RMR's dot in the lower quadrant of the aperture. Plus, even if the dot was off, centering up a target in the center of the optic is going to likely result in hits at shotgunning range.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. Is it better than having to manually adjust? I'd never take my hand off the fire controls or support to adjust an optic in a bad situation. I didn't care for the controls of the adjustable model RMR either. It wasn't as intuitive as say the rheostat style knob on the T1.

Combat situations at night would be pretty good mostly except for the same scenario where you are in real Darkness and are shooting into a very brightly lit area.....

When shooting at night / darkened interior room / cave the problem area upon your first shot is "the brightly lit area" at the end of your muzzle, the blinding flash that will result in your inability to maintain front sight visual reference, particularly with a shotgun ! The operators' illuminated optic dot is likewise lost in the flash. This of course is just one more reason to employ flash suppressors on weapons of most kinds during night ops.

Good looking setup SD.

Nothing more frustrating than trying to post up a few quick photos and Photobucket not cooperating.

Edited by benelliwerkes

Not sure who to hate, photobucket or this forum software. If it's random url string generated a forbidden word, it blocks it out with asterisks. So you have to reload the photo to photosuckit and try again.

I do quite a few night shoots. Enough to put B.E. Meyers 249 flash suppressors on my .223 rifles for this exact reason. Most of the time your natural night vision is blown the moment the first shot is fired. Everything else is just directed fire unless you kill the flash.

My thanks for the compliments. Doesn't look bad after 11 years, and 13,000+ rounds. It has had a facelift though! Right now it's Ava Tactical light mount and the 500 lumen light is out being painted to match the shotgun at Controlled Chaos.

I could see it being an issue on a long range precision optic. However, on this combination, your iron sights are literally co-witnessing the RMR's dot in the lower quadrant of the aperture. Plus, even if the dot was off, centering up a target in the center of the optic is going to likely result in hits at shotgunning range.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. Is it better than having to manually adjust? I'd never take my hand off the fire controls or support to adjust an optic in a bad situation. I didn't care for the controls of the adjustable model RMR either. It wasn't as intuitive as say the rheostat style knob on the T1.

Thanks for your great M4 pics and feedback on the RM01.

We've been running RM01's for over a year on various Benellis and they are fantastic for all of the reasons you mentioned.

Yes, it's true that when shooting from dark into light the dot intensity isn't ideal but it's still adequate to make good shots. We've encountered this scenario many times in training. Especially when shooting from a covered firing line or in some fanciful 3-Gun stages.

Incidentally, this is the Achilles heel of the Dual Power battery-free RMRs like the RM03-04-05-08. We've found this problem to be far worse on the Dual Power models and pretty much a deal breaker for us.

After careful consideration, we've decided to bundle the adjustable RM06 with both our BOR/RMR and upcoming LDM/RMR Quick-Detach Picatinny mounts. These are the main reasons we opted for the RM06 over all of the rest:

• 3.25MOA dot size is perfect for anything from 0-300m
  • Has Auto-Intensity feature like the RM01: Simply press both +/- buttons simultaneously and release.
  • Can be switched off, unlike RM01.
  • Has none of the drawbacks of the Dual Power models.

Basically it encompasses what's great about the RM01 and adds manual overrides for those that want them.

We're also pleased to announce that our BOR/RMR+RM06 bundles will be priced at only $639! We'll be posting an ETA once Trijicon gets us a delivery date.

Edited by Scalarworks

This is what Trijicon has on the battery life for RMR 06:[TABLE=width: 400]

[TR]

[TD]Over 4 years of continuous use (when used at 70ºF (21ºC)) at setting 4 of 8.

RMR 01:

Up to 2 years of typical use*, up to 5 years in dark storage.

I think either one works for my purposes in that regard.

I am in. *SOON*. Awaits bundle.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I believe that this price would be impossible to beat cobbling together both units and will beat many seller's rmr only price.

That's correct. :D

At $639 you can get a BOR/RMR+RM06 for $40 less than a BOR/RMR alone with a much cheaper standalone RM01, and only $29 more than a BOR/RMR with the very cheapest Dual illuminated RMR.

Great reply. Didn't realize the RM06 had the auto gain feature. I'd guess the batter life would be the same if left on the auto adjust setting. I keep hearing the batteries are good for two years.

I would guess so. Trijicon don't give both specs for the RM06, only for manual. But like Benelliworks says, at the middle manual setting they claim 4 years constant on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...