Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benelli Forums
shootingsight

ShootingSight hammer for Benelli M4

As an FYI, ShootingSight should be releasing a tool steel hammer for the M4 in a couple of months.  If you are interested, please email [email protected], and we will get in touch as soon as they are available.

These will be CNC machined Rolled Plate S7 Tool Steel, so the highest grade you can get.  Price TBD - under $100.  It will be 100% US made, so 922R compliant.

Art Neergaard

ShootingSight llc

www.shootingsight.com

• Upvote 1

Art makes great quality products.  He has a very loyal following on another forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milspec said:

Art makes great quality products.  He has a very loyal following on another forum.

Yes he does. I have a bunch of his stuff he makes for SCARs. 

What are you shooting for the hardness after heat treat of the underlying s7 steel?  I'd be down for two DLC coated hammers if you go that way.

May pay to rehash the pros/cons of another hammer (other than stock or the other 922R/american piece) - i.e. why people like the G, and what yours would bring. I think a lot of the community knows (but I don't) ; but seeing this thread, and the summary together could help posterity. . .

1 hour ago, Battler said:

May pay to rehash the pros/cons of another hammer (other than stock or the other 922R/american piece) - i.e. why people like the G, and what yours would bring. I think a lot of the community knows (but I don't) ; but seeing this thread, and the summary together could help posterity. . .

I was just about to ask what a ShootingSport hammer would offer over factory Benelli, beyond 922r compliance. 

I'm just learning this product, based on a request, so I don't want to overpromise, so I think it is PRIMARILY about 922R.

That said, I have heard complaints about the factory hammer deforming or mushrooming.  I have not heard about failure to fire, so this might be a cosmetic defect, nothing more.  The other thing is that I plan to NiB coat the hammer.  This is a low friction coating, and since part of the trigger pull weight is the friction of the sears dragging on each other, it should reduce pull weight slightly.

Now, a next step would be to make a complete new trigger/hammer/sear set.  If I were to undertake this, it'd be a lighter, smoother pull, and it would be 2-stage.  However I need to understand the market MUCH better before committing to a project of this magnitude.

• Upvote 1

Could several people please throw some dimensions my way?  I got a new plastic trigger housing.  The hammer is around 0.150 thick, and the slot in the plastic lower is 0.160, so it's kind of a sloppy fit.  I'm thinking 5/32, which is 0.156 would be a nice fit.  However I understand lowers used to be metal, so I don't know if the gap has changed.

Could anyone who is so inclined, and has a set of calipers, post what hammer thickness and gap width are on their receivers, and also mention if it is a plastic or a metal lower?  Thanks,

On 7/2/2019 at 9:40 AM, Milspec said:

Agreed. I would expect no less from him on the m4 platform. 

Posted (edited)

Seriously?  Took apart my trigger pack, and the hole in the hammer is 0.250, but the pin is only 0.235.  That's the sloppiest fit I have ever seen for a moving part on a pin.

Is there any reason for this, or is it just loose tolerances, so the hammer can be a low cost punched part?  Unless I can find a reason, mine will be a LOT better fit.

Edited by shootingsight