Brand new M4 back from Benelli “repair” -thoughts?

Bolt_308

This is an update to the post I made on Sept 18th here:  https://forums.benelliusa.com/topic/24783-help-new-m4-bolt-hangingsticking/ .  

After contacting Benelli and them stating my brand spanking new M4 needed to go back, I sadly packed it up and shipped it out, including a note as to what was happening, and copies of the photos I had posted in the last post showing the damage to the extractor and where it was grinding against the side of the bolt and hanging up.  Fast forward to today, and the gun returned, 40 days later.  I did not receive any communication from Benelli beyond that the gun was being shipped back, IE no explanation as to the issue/work/repair done.  

I eagerly opened the box, and was surprised by what I found.  Inside with this document, see attached pic, explaining the work that was done.  In short, it looks like they modified/widened the extractor groove on the bolt head, checked tolerances, test fired, and . . . Thats it.  Extractor still all gouged on the bottom side.  I can confirm the gun was test fired, as it was not cleaned afterwards and was dirty with residue.  I cleaned it up, oiled it, put it back together, and ran the bolt.  At first the bolt was hanging up/not smooth, however things seem to smooth out a touch after a few racks, so not sure if it was because it was dirty or what.  Note that I actually since then have purchased a M1014, and that bolt is buttery smooth, this one less so when racking side by side.

I would be interested to know the thoughts of the collective.  I am a patient guy, and have been for the 40 days I have been waiting for my brand new 2k gun to return.  I guess I would say I am disappointed, but dont want to be overreacting either.  Thoughts?

CB0C5C2B-06CC-4343-AE78-51222C31AEA8.jpeg

F5C20FBB-78C8-439C-95BA-3DCBCC3ACE6B.jpeg

0D880323-400F-45F8-8A99-E2C83490C7A9.jpeg

47D2E1DD-ED9A-448C-AB80-BCD338685353.jpeg

5D0FF194-844C-4C05-9BF9-902D41651F35.jpeg

• Upvote 1

That is total crud.  I bet you would have received better service from Kel-Tec or Taurus. 

My new M4's top rail screws came buggered up from the factory.  It looks like a 9 year old installed them and the screwdriver slipped on every screw head.

The only reason I didn't make an issue out of it is because I'm pulling it off for a Scalarworks mount.  I'll have to post some pics one of these days.  Their QC and workmanship is going the way of the Do Do Bird!

Edited by Milspec
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all for the replies- so interesting development just now.  I was playing with the gun, and realized that occasionally the bolt when closed, would ‘hang up’ for a second before going back.  It happens when i ever so slightly would pull out on the charging handle while pulling back.  Meaning unless I was either pulling perfectly straight back or pushing in while pulling the charging handle back, no problems, but if i pulled out slightly, it would bind before moving back.  I tried it on my M1014 and the bolt in that gun works smooth as glass any direction I apply pressure.

After taking a break due to frustration, I went back in and was just looking at the gun.  Then it dawned on me- hey I could try the bolt in my M1014 in the malfunctioning M4!  So I swapped out bolts, and lo and behold, the M1014 bolt ran smooth as glass in the problem M4!  So it definitely is the bolt, or some part of the bolt assembly.  I will contact Benelli back and alert them to this thread as well as tell them the update, and see what they will do.  In short, I would need a brand new bolt sent to me, as well as a repair to the extractor that is gouged, or yes will ask for a replacement or money back.  So disappointing that it took little old me all of 5 minutes swapping out the bolts to figure out that the bolt assembly is the issue, and still an issue.  LMK if you agree I am on the right track or if there is anything else I am missing . . .

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Evolution said:

You do mean the ejector slot on the bolt, not the extractor slot, right? Looks like the took a grinder to it. A 2K gun, they should have given you a new barrel and bolt.

Yeah sorry that was what i meant, words get tough when frustration sets in! ? Apparently you cant edit a first post on a thread?

Edited by Bolt_308

OP, if you don't mind, please do the following:

Swap bolts and carriers with your M1014 which works fine. See if the M1014 bolt/carrier has issues in this gun.

Next, swap the barrel, and see if the M1014 barrel, bolt, and carrier, work find in this receiver.

This will tell you if it's the barrel, the bolt/carrier, or the receiver. That will give us/you more data to go on in resolving and understanding this issue.

Oh wow...I posted this without seeing.

OP, your carrier has a problem as I initially proposed to you in your other thread, likely. The cam-pin track is off in some manner. less likely, the cam-pin hole in the bolt is drilled off-axis. Either way, your "repaired" bolt is a bunch of bullshit and Benelli needs to send you a new bolt/carrier combo. That is the only acceptable resolution to this. To make sure the correct replacement is made, please try your M1014 BOLT in your malfunctioning gun's CARRIER, and see if the issue is solely the bolt, or solely the carrier. Then you can ask Benelli for the CORRECT action. barring their helping you, at least you know what to buy on your own, but Benelli should indeed offer to make good, here.

• Like 1

Man..the intended resolve..or more accurately the lack of resolve..with this clearly  malfunctioning part by Benelli is really pathetic. Sorry to hear Benelli is chasing their tail around vs. not properly addressing your M4. The work done to the bolt(attempted anyway) looks like it was passed off to a espresso machine repair man..it’s like Benelli got mad & took it out on your bolt for bothering them!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Evolution said:

You do mean the ejector slot on the bolt, not the extractor slot, right? Looks like the took a grinder to it. A 2K gun, they should have given you a new barrel and bolt.

9 hours ago, Doge said:

The work order itself is confused with ejector and ejector.?

Also just noticed a bunch of people have dog avatars haha

Ha thats a good point and funily enough when i read the work order i didnt even notice that they had put the wrong name of the part of the bolt THEMSELVES, calling it the extractor and “extractor cut” when it is the ejector, like Evolution said.

Update to this- I called Benelli back.  The CS guy I talked to was nice, however he was following a script, which basically said that they would need to have me send it back again, to re-review.  I explained that I had already done that once with a brand new gun, providing detailed written description and pictures, however still was not resolved, and the damage and ‘repair’ to the gun was still there.  I explained the switch out of the bolts with my current M1014, and how the other bolt worked in the M4. Also pointed out how the repair description itself didnt have the right name of the piece that was modified- “ejector vs extractor”.  I had to push, but eventually told the CS guy to talk to a manager, which he agreed. He went to find the shop manager, and then came back a little while later and said the manager had reviewed the case and “we dont normally do this” but we would be willing to send you a replacement bolt.  However we need to have your initial bolt back first.  So he is sending me a return label to ship them the bolt, and then stated that once they have it they will ship me out a new bolt to test.

Ironically though this call, which I intentionally remained VERY calm so as to not allow for any description of a yelling/cussing Customer, I mentioned how i had several posts going on the forum with the pictures if they needed to review to see the damage.  I got the same response as I received the first time I called, that “the forum isn’t run by benelli”.  I told him that was not why I was telling him this, I was telling him this both so they could see the pictures again that i had posted and printed to them, as well as the threads with the various feedback. I said that if I were Benelli management I would want to take notice of the reports/posts/pictures/concerns, as not only is it bad product but also potentially bad press for the company.  I also did not say this as a threat, it was to raise awareness to them to hopefully do the right thing, in that I also  work in management for a major company, and would be something that if it was happening in my company we would address and make right for the customer.  

I am still not happy with having to wait several more weeks to send in the bad bolt and wait to get a bolt back from them, but I will give it a chance.  It does not address the damage that the initial bad bolt caused to the ejector housing.  This doesnt affect function, so maybe I will just have to let that go if the new bolt works, but still a bummer all the way.  PS I am trying to just post facts of what is happening without anger/threats etc, dont want to become ‘that guy’, so apologies if this is at all coming across that way.  

Edited by Bolt_308
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

kinda suprised at Benelli CS.. back in late spring/early summer i had  a safety failure in my 11707 purchased in 2007.  i called, sent the trigger group in for repair.  They emailed me with their findings stating that it was a 'very rare failure' and they were sending me a whole new trigger group.

I requested that my aluminum TG be replaced with an aluminum vs plastic and they agreed.  about a week later i received my new parts with a detailed explanation in writing and everything is right in the universe again.

suprised they would send that back to you in that condition

Well, I'm glad for you that you were able to get a new bolt out of them however, that dinged up ejector shroud would bug me. It's not normal friction wear, as you know it was caused by the defective bolt and so they should have replaced the barrel as well.

Hopefully that ejector shroud will stay in one piece and won't throw off a chip of metal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

I've always been able to reach Benelli and receive good information. When did you call them last?

I assume you were responding to a different user about a different post on here that looks like it has since been deleted and not by me yeah?

• Upvote 1

OP, Your patient approach while repeatedly dealing with customer service is the right way to handle it. Even if all you are getting (for now) is a new bolt, I'm sure it wouldn't have happened if you had displayed excessive attitude. Hopefully the new bolt works smoothly.

• Upvote 1