Factory Benelli M4 Picatinny Multirail Handguard?!

ninjajim4

21 hours ago, ninjajim4 said:

All the posts about aftermarket forends and no one is excited Benelli came out with their own..?

The problem is that it has been out there for at least a couple of years on various models, but never as a stand-alone accessory available for sale. This could be for a variety of reasons. I've searched for it a few times, but came up empty. I imagine it would cost a small fortune if Benelli ever decided to offer it as a stand-alone accessory available for sale. 

11 hours ago, ThisShouldDoTheJob said:

The problem is that it has been out there for at least a couple of years on various models, but never as a stand-alone accessory available for sale. This could be for a variety of reasons. I've searched for it a few times, but came up empty. I imagine it would cost a small fortune if Benelli ever decided to offer it as a stand-alone accessory available for sale. 

Interesting, hadn't realized it's already out there.  First time I've heard of it.  One would think someone, somewhere would have parted one out by now, or a third party would clone it.

Anyway, I took the time to call Benelli US customer service about it.. The rep I spoke to said they don't even have the 11714 in country at all yet, it's LE only, supposedly backordered/preordered 400+ units, and, in line with what you said, they don't currently sell the handguard separately to anyone, including LE.  I'll get my hands on one of these someday...

18 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Looks like yet another rail that wasn't designed by someone who uses a firearm in the field.

Terrible ergonomics compared to the polymer handguard. Added weight. No placements for lights that make sense. They'll sell a ton.

what is made of?  how much does it weigh?  We don't know.

My main reasons for wanting a factory rail rather than an aftermarket is that I want one that installs without tools like the polymer forend, I don't want set screws marring up the barrel, and I want something I KNOW is built to spec and doesn't need shims or slightly oversized and busting the welds

The traditional M4 weighs in at 7.8 pounds unloaded. This new model with its rail and different stock weigh in at 8.4 lbs. Considering most of the new stock is polymer, my guess is most of the gain lives in that rail. I'd assume this rail is either 6065 or 7075 aluminum. So its a bit of a chonker. Looking at the rail closer, I don't think those are MLOK/Keymod sockets. It appears to have threaded holes for attaching Picatinny rail sections.

In two years, I'll be at 20 years on this platform. I've been riding the struggle bus chasing a proper rail system all that time for the sole purpose of mounting a weapon light in an efficient manner.

Nothing beats the ergonomics of the OEM polymer handguards, extra points if they're stippled professionally. Every rail system out there for the Benelli M4 has been poorly designed. Poor installation systems that require the use of tools to service the firearm. Terrible ergonomics where you're holding onto a Pringles can. Stupidly positioned Picatinny/MLOK/Keymod rail positions that have little to no thought process on why they are there. Failure inducing designs where the rail makes contact with the gas pistons. All add substantial weight to the firearm. All rail systems abandon the enclosed ARGO piston design that keeps debris out and gases trapped inside. This is why the IWC weapon light mount is so popular for the M4. It gets you a serviceable light mounting solution without ruining the firearm with stupid crap. Unfortunately the mounting solution isn't perfect either on 18.5" M4's. Most of these rail systems require that you remove all of your accessories from the rail in order to slide the thing off of the barrel assembly. So after you've locked all your screws in with thread locker to keep them from being shaken loose, you get to do it over and over again for general maintenance of the ARGO system.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 5:36 PM, Miles267 said:

Just picked up the new 11732 with same Benelli OEM multi rail as shown above. Has anyone with this model mounted any picatinny rail sections to it? Would like to mount a weapon light. The new multi rail doesn’t appear to be MLOK or keymod.

Pictures please...

Rasyad

On 11/3/2022 at 5:36 PM, Miles267 said:

Just picked up the new 11732 with same Benelli OEM multi rail as shown above. Has anyone with this model mounted any picatinny rail sections to it? Would like to mount a weapon light. The new multi rail doesn’t appear to be MLOK or keymod.

It uses proprietary Benelli attachments as far as I am aware.

• 1 month later...

I'm in agreement with StrangerDanger. I avoided mounting handguards like Surefire or B&T - or even the newer MLOK handguards for reasons of weight, profile, and strength. I chose the FAB Defense handguard to maintain the profile of the original Benelli handguard allowing the installation of a vertical foregrip (in my case M249 SAW) to maintain control of the weight and pointability of the Benelli M4. Recoil on Benelli M4 as any owner knows is negligable and rather it's about maintaining control of the mass. The FAB Defense handguard as StrangerDanger has expressed on other handguards prevents the readily disassembly of the firearm which fortunately due to the ARGO system is not an issue due to the lack of fouling on Benelli M4. Furthermore the FAB Defense handguard needs to be fitted to the Benelli M4 and isn't quite simply "drop in." Modern handguards that use MLOK slots or Picatinny rails with lightning cuts are of concern to me for reasons of durability in the mounting of accessories - specifically vertical foregrips. We do not want to see a repeat of the KSG dude. Unless my Benelli M4 requires disassembly, I am content with security of the FAB Defense handguard - however, do encourage durable options that do not increase the weight or profile of the Benelli M4 handguard to be available that permits disassembly of the firearm.

SAMMY!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 2:07 AM, Rasyad said:

Pictures please...

Rasyad

On 11/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, Miles267 said:

Have you tried using the provided fasteners to mount MLOK accessories directly to the rail in the threaded screw holes?

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have two of these forend kits in my possession. They feel pretty slim to me, no wider than the stock forend. In the hardware kit you get three little rails . I think they have five slots if memory serves . When I get home I'll weigh the pieces so y'all can stop guessing how much it weighs or how big it is. I have the feeling they are not going to be easy to come by .

On 11/24/2022 at 4:13 PM, benelliwerkes said:

I have used the aluminum Benelli M4 Surefire M80 quad-rail for years without any issues.

How many more mounting positions does one need?

1941853974_DSCN2164acopy2Benelli14Entrycopy.jpg

1654755377_DSCN2155Benelli14Entrycopy.JPG

isnt that very TACTICOOL,  looks like it weighs 100 pounds, good luck with that, 

visually impressive..........yet in practicality, ....demonic

Okay, I weighed the factory parts.

Forend is 9.75oz. Accessory kit is 2.3 oz. The kit includes three five groove rails, hardware to install them, and a little torx wrench. So maybe 10.5oz with one rail and a bit less than 12oz with three attached. I don't have a stock forend in front of me so no way to compare them. You can mount your accessories top, bottom, or lower sides. It looks like Benelli took plenty of time making it as light as possible while keeping it strong.

1 hour ago, roverjohn said:

Okay, I weighed the factory parts.

Forend is 9.75oz. Accessory kit is 2.3 oz. The kit includes three five groove rails, hardware to install them, and a little torx wrench. So maybe 10.5oz with one rail and a bit less than 12oz with three attached. I don't have a stock forend in front of me so no way to compare them. You can mount your accessories top, bottom, or lower sides. It looks like Benelli took plenty of time making it as light as possible while keeping it strong.

Polymer forend is 5oz.

that Benelli forend is a cash grab, poorly designed and implemented, considering the proprietary accessory attachment system they are using.

Benelli could have easily gone with mlok which is at this point an industry standard.

the ergos also do not compare to the polymer forend as far as I can tell, I haven’t held the metal one but doesn’t look nearly as comfortable.  Just in my opinion of course.

Edited by RxArms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think I measured mine upside down so it's really only an inch and a half wide where you grip it. 1.75" on top. I'm not sure why anyone would complain about the ergos without having one in hand I guess any of us can complain about anything. I think they feel great, real smooth, well rounded, and no sharp edges. Benelli has done a nice job for what it is. I also don't get the cash grab thing. It's not like they're available so how can they be grabbing cash?

3 hours ago, roverjohn said:

Benelli doesn't seem too concerned about that with their factory part which is pretty wide open.

wide open??????? ROFL.....the factor M4 handguards entirely block dirt/crap from falling into the dual piston system.