Who uses their benelli for home defence?

tasum

What's your setup and what shells do you use.

We can't use firearms and shotguns for home defence over here in the UK, but I'm just curious what you more liberated chaps in the US use.

Any pictures of your favorite :) loadouts would be lovely.

Please note my deference to your US spelling above :)

No guns? That really sucks. You guys are gonna be at the mercy of your government when the civil unrest storm reaches you guys. Good luck.

I have several guns, my home defense bedside gun is my Benelli M4. It's setup with a surefire x400, sidearmor 6 shot side saddle, meprolight night sights, kips full length tube, collapsible stock. I'm thinking about getting the surefire fore end and a Magpul fore grip. I prefer Federal OO Buck 9 pellet for home defense.

Defense, not defence!

At shotgun ranges almost anything works, but 00 buck or slugs is my preference.

My M4 Carbine, however, is preferred to my M4 shotgun.

-- Chuck

I slipped that spelling in just to test you all!

Thanks for the info. I've got several shotties and 2 full bore rifles, so if it all goes wrong I'm covered. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm addicted to all those prepper vids on youtube :eek:

Thanks for the shell info. I'm guessing we can't put slug down a smooth bore barrel? I'm not sure.

Thanks again, let's have some pictures please.

Edited by tasum

tasum, slugs are not a problem with chokes between CYL and FULL. You will usually get the best accuracy out of a smoothbore with slugs with some constriction (IC, MOD) but you really need to carefully sight in your slug loads. Hopefully, the barrel has aperture/rifle-type sights or you would use an optic. The Federal Truball is very accurate in most barrels I have found and there are other great loads out there. Take care!

GTPSC

http://www.blackborechokes.com

If I get advance warning of an impending Zombie attack, or if me fence needs blasting, I'll use an older H&K imported Benelli Super 90 M1 in defense configuration with NO attachments (to get in the way). Lots of 00 Buck with a few foster slugs available. In a rush situation, I have a S&W 1911, full size .45 automatic loaded with Hornady 185 gr FTX, ready to go. But then, I'm just a little old granny, so I don't have all the fire power on standby some of the guys on this forum have.

Since my M2 is NFA, it's in the safe, so it probably won't be used for HD (except for zombie invasion/all-out-war). But I like Federal LE 00 buck (9 pel flight control) and their LE riffled slugs (true ball). It just takes too long to open the safe in an emergency. But my HD / CCW gun stays on/by me at all times (Kimber ultra crimson carry II .45ACP) but that might change when my MG42 transfer is approved :)

one of the reasons americans feel so strongly about the right to bear arms is to keep the king of england out of our face. LOL. and it gives our own government something to think about as well. crime would be a LOT worse here if honest americans weren't allowed to defend themselves.

btw, i keep two shotguns (a benelli M4 and a remington 870P), a Barrett Rec7 (6.8 caliber) and an H&K USP compact .45 under my bed.

also, it seems that #1 buckshot might be the ideal choice for home defense according to http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

The summary from this article states:

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

I agree #1 is a more optimal choice against people at under 40 yards. However, there are very few top-quality (i.e. LE quality) #1 loads to be found. I buy either Winchester Ranger or Federal LE and I don't believe either sells a #1 load.

I just bought a case of Federal LE slugs and am considering using those as my 1st string load.

No guns? That really sucks. You guys are gonna be at the mercy of your government when the civil unrest storm reaches you guys. Good luck.

I have several guns, my home defense bedside gun is my Benelli M4. It's setup with a surefire x400, sidearmor 6 shot side saddle, meprolight night sights, kips full length tube, collapsible stock. I'm thinking about getting the surefire fore end and a Magpul fore grip. I prefer Federal OO Buck 9 pellet for home defense.

super do you have any pictures of your gun set up with the X400 and side armor? Id like to see where you put the X400 and how the side aromer looks please. thanks.

I also use fedral low recoil 00 buck in my M4 but thats not what I would grab. I would take my HK usp 9mm first only cuz this gun I shoot all the time and feel most comfy with it.

If I knew I was gonna have to have a gun fight I would grab my AR15. I have lots a mags full including a beta 100 round drum,lol incase alot of zombies come in my house.

Federal LE Tactical Low Recoil TRU-BALL Rifled Slug

TruBallBox&Cutaway.jpg

I use the same slugs on my Benelli M4

For me I use my Benelli M4 for home defense also. It has the standard stock, factory standard choke tube, stock shell saddle for 5 shells, Meprolite night sights, GG&G release and charging handle, and sling adaptor.

I keep my M4 on the side of my bed, and along my headboard is my hearing proctection along with a bandolier of assorted Winchester 2.75" Military 00 buck, Federal slugs, like in the picture above, and some birdshot.

My M4 is close by, loaded with 2 3/4 1 ounce hollow point slugs. My nearest neighbor is several hundred yards away through thick brush. After shooting many feral animals with buck and slugs, I feel the slugs offer a better fight stopper.

Buckshot isn't as destructive as you would think. I have little use for the spread pattern. The M4 choke is pretty damn tight at fight ranges. A one ounce slug moving at 1600+ fps has about 6 - 8 times the impact force as a 230gn 45acp.

Generally, I grab the AR15 over the Benelli though. More capacity, greater precision, much more compact, lighter overall weight, less chance of over penetration and range. I also prefer the safety of the AR over the Benelli.

Please elaborate.

The placement of the safety on the AR15 platform is far superior than the Benelli and other shotgun platforms. When running with a AR15, the weapon should be on safe until you've decided to engage a target. Raise the rifle to the target and disengage the safety and fire.

The Benelli's safety requires you to use your trigger finger to disengage the safety. Then to re-engage the safety, it requires you to break your firing grip and press it with your thumb.

The typical AR15 platform selector can be vastly improved upon though. The way to make the system intuitive is to use a 45 degree angle selector. A 45 degree selector allows you to manipulate the selector with your thumb without changing your firing grip. You ride the selector with your thumb on top of it like you do with a 1911. This gives you a positive tactile feel for the condition of the weapon.

Here is the selector on mine:

5278555391_24790b75f5_b.jpg

5279161120_8cb16c0923_b.jpg

Here is a write up of the weapon in action against a feral animal from Wednesday:

I used my MRP piston op AR15 with a so equipped rifle with an Aimpoint T1 in low light. As soon as he got lit up by the x300, I heard him say, "Feets, don't fails me now!" and it bolted horizontally from my position. In a full run, I tracked him with the red dot (no magnification) approximately 40 yards from my position. I was experiencing that great time slowing effect where every action seems significant and deliberate. The T1 acted as a large ghost ring keeping my focus on the target. Tunnel vision keeps your eyes fixed on the target and the scope body seems to vanish. Your peripheral vision appears to fade to black.

The short throw felt like it took 2 second, in reality it was about .1 seconds. I recall thinking how great the KNS detent felt. I know that sounds like a gay advertisement line. The detent has a more positive engagement than others I've used. You feel and hear the detent engage. Since this was a new addon for me, the differences from my 90 degree BAD ASS which did not have the KNS detent was quite noticeable.

I took my shot and put his dick in the dirt. I centered on him again to take a follow up shot, but he was out for the count. He got tagged above the shoulder at the spine with .223 62gn SS109 green tip. Game over.

Without breaking my grip, I flipped the weapon back to safe with my thumb and re-slung the weapon.

This isn't my first rodeo by far. Previously, I would feel the 90 degree throw movement, but it felt much longer and less secure. With the 45, I ride the selector until it stops with my thumb. I know it's location and have a tactile reference to the condition of the weapon. It reminds me of how the 1911 safety is manipulated.

Edited by StrangerDanger

Supernova Tactical (pistol grip & ghost ring sights) with eotech 512

as far as ammo goes i use 7 1/2 birdshot. i cant take any risks of over penetration. i know its not the best round for hd but im not looking for a kill but just to stop him/her long enough to take control of him/her until police come.

i store the gun by my bedside on a guitar stand fully loaded, eotech set to correct brightness for night, and 3/4 cocked (round is in the chamber but bolt is yet locked) with the safety still on.. for me its instinct to push the safety off so im not worried about forgetting about that and just the motion of shouldering it will lock the bolt.

16516947417495690072156.jpg

Edited by Alpengeist

In a genuine sh*t blizzard being concerned with keeping the safety on shouldn't even be a consideration. Under such circumstances 'safety' is strictly a matter deliberate muzzle direction (i.e. kept safely in the line of attack). When nanoseconds count, keep the safety OFF. (naturally this is very bad advice for the untrained/uninitiated however in the real world in the middle of a sh*tstorm it may well mean the difference between the quick and the dead)

Do not use birdshot. Even at close range, they typically only do flesh wounds. You're far better off with a weak 9mm. At the very least, use #4.

I can post several pictures of animals who got spanked by birdshot. They're kind of gruesome though. They pretty much walked it off. Even at point blank, it's not a fight stopper.

Do not use birdshot. Even at close range, they typically only do flesh wounds. You're far better off with a weak 9mm. At the very least, use #4.

I can post several pictures of animals who got spanked by birdshot. They're kind of gruesome though. They pretty much walked it off. Even at point blank, it's not a fight stopper.

you can message me them

I'll post the birdshot hits at home later tonight. I am having trouble getting the urls on my phone. Needless to say, birdshot is only moderately effective when you have the muzzle pressed against the target. In most cases, its low mass won't penetrate deep enough to cause significant blood loss or severe damage to the central nervous system. Without that, you're hoping for pain compliance only.