Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benelli Forums
CalPatriot

New Mesa Tactical M-Lok forend for M4

Seems legit...excited to see a review.  Mesa if you're seeing this get a demo unit over to mrgunsandgear for his M4!

While I'm glad that companies are paying attention to the platform, I have to admit that aesthetically speaking, I don't like that forend at all.

Not a fan of the MLOK mount placements. You don’t want the mounted item right where your hand will be. The Hayl rail had better positioning, but its set screw interface was worse than cancer. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Not a fan of the MLOK mount placements. You don’t want the mounted item right where your hand will be. The Hayl rail had better positioning, but its set screw interface was worse than cancer. 

Good comments...  I'm thinking of using the forward M-Lok slots for light/laser/QD mount, the rearward one(s) for pressure switch(es) and the one underneath for an angled grip.  Will have to see how the placement works out once I get one... 

Totally agree on the set screw interface 🙂.  I was toying with the idea of using nylon-tipped set screws instead of the ones supplied to see if they might work better until I saw the offering from Mesa Tactical.

I've been waiting forever and a day for the AVA Tactical light mount and I've just given up at this point...

I'd look into the IWC mount. It's solid lightweight and rides close to the shotgun. You don't need any specialized tailcaps to make it fit either. Price wise it is probably the cheapest option out there too.

I always found I wanted to activate the light with my support hand thumb. So I don't see it being comfortable to mount the tape switch at the rear of the handguard. The Hayl positions were decent, they landed under where my thumb would naturally sit on the handguard. That mounting system is a deal breaker though.

• Like 1

IMO that new MESA hand guard looks so bland. Could have done a better job with the details on designing that thing even though it may have functional mounting positions on it. 

On 2/28/2019 at 12:15 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Style wise, the Mesa rail is pretty ugly. It's like putting magic Mormon underwear on your hot Italian girlfriend.

Glad I wasn't drinking something when I read that,....it would have been all over my computer.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:15 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Style wise, the Mesa rail is pretty ugly. It's like putting magic Mormon underwear on your hot Italian girlfriend.

^^^^^^^^^

what he said and that’s pretty hideous...

On 1/23/2019 at 2:23 PM, CalPatriot said:

This looks much more interesting as an option to mount lights, etc. than the existing options and evidently no set screws are necessary to secure it in place like the Hayl Rail...  8" and 11" models will be available.

I went ahead and placed a pre-order for an 11"...

https://mesatactical.com/products/truckee-forend-for-the-benelli-m4.html

mesatac_95690_01__82689.1546906525.jpg?c

The ergonomice can't be great with a flat/squared bottom.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:15 PM, StrangerDanger said:

I don't give a diddlely-squat how it looks, is it suitable for the application? Does it work with the platform without major issues? (I wouldn't let the magic underwear deter me, she'd still be hot)

AKs and SKS rifles are ugly yet they work (even though the ergonomics do seriously suck on the 70+ y.o. AK).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

I don't give a diddlely-squat how it looks, is it suitable for the application? Does it work with the platform without major issues? 

I disagree. When I look to aftermarket parts, be it for my Ducati or a firearm, I always strive to strike a balance between functionality and aesthetics. Why ruin the looks of an expensive beautiful thing by slapping something ugly on it,  just because it may be functional?

Burnt orange carpet and purple drapes may be functional, but are you gonna decorate you home with that?😀

Edited by Evolution

Trust me, when in a **** storm all you care about is reliability and having more than enough ammo than called for. Cosmetics are meaningless in the real world. BTDT

If Cerakoting any of my stuff burnt orange and purple would render it more reliable and effective I would do it without hesitation. I've even been considering making a Hello Kitty version of one of my EBRs that is carried in the automobile, THAT would likely make any bad guy hesitate and go, "WTF?!?!?"