Somebody is in trouble!

StreetSweeper56

My son just finished Basic, AIT, and jump school these past few months. He is now in the 82nd Airborne as a Combat Engineer at Ft. Liberty(Bragg). He was so excited on getting to use the M4 because we had shot it so much before he left and he trained with it. When he got to the breaching part of his course on how they teach them how to breach different doors, walls, etc, and when they got to talking about using shotguns to breach his drill instructor pulled out the M26 MASS. My son said his heart fell lol. He asked them about the M4 and they said that the M4 will no longer be used in the Army for breaching and will be removed from rotation at least for the average soldier. Maybe SF still has them or uses them, but no longer for the average soldier. Kinda sad, because he said the MASS absolutely sucks and the recoil and handling on it is horrible. 

• Like 1

I have to admit, I had no idea what an M26 MASS was....so I looked it up. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M26_Modular_Accessory_Shotgun_System

All I can say is, what a stupid freaking contraption that is! Looks super fragile like if you dropped it or banged it hard against something it would break or knock something out of whack.

Who would like to lug around such a contraption? How unwieldy do you think that thing is to handle? Who comes up with these brilliant ideas?

Stupid.

• Upvote 2

Shotgun tactics and usage are much different than pistol or rifle tactics and usage imo. I've never seen the benefit of a detachable mag fed shotgun, only liability, as least for stand alone use with no backup or support. I like to be able to top off the magazine on a shotgun on the fly. IMO detachable mag fed shottys are not nearly as versatile as tube fed mag, if for nothing other than to be able to immediately switch loads.

• Upvote 2

I own a Genesis Arms Gen-12 shotgun. It is solid build quality and to me is superior vs. other mag-fed shotguns such as the VEPR 12 or M26 MASS..both of which I have some time behind. I really enjoy shooting the Genesis Arms 12, particularly the AR-platform mechanics & ergos that provide familiar handling. I’ll spare this forum of my own user-experience along with any comparisons, advantages/disadvantages vs. Benelli M4. Having said that..if both the Benelli M4 & Genesis Arms 12 are sitting next to each other fully loaded and I can only choose one to take with me..it’s an easy & quick decision..the Benelli M4 all day & every day.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BamBam said:

I’ll spare this forum of my own user-experience along with any comparisons,

Please share with us sir your experience and background on these weapons. I for one am very interested to hear from others who have experience in this subject. Learning is something I take very seriously and will respectfully hear what you say on the subject. If you so chose to of course.

Edited by John Doe

A few years ago just for fun I cobbled together some KAC MasterKey styled configurations. Noveske N4 SBR and 16" HK MR556A1 hosting a 7" Rem 870 3" magnum. The Mr. Obvious problem with these configurations are there are not sighting systems for the shotgun, ~ 4 inch offset from the carbine barrel, point shooting a 12 gauge load in close quarters when the shot collar has not even released yet!

DSCN1002acopy.thumb.jpg.016a55b82c3b52710024e9661e8d4235.jpgDSCN0993acopy.thumb.jpg.2105394016648bd50e97aa191082827b.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 7.12.53 PM.png

Edited by benelliwerkes
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Franchi SPAS-15 was very reliable mag fed shotgun as well. Plus, it offered both pump or semi-auto function so you can change it depending on your needs. They are quite rare in the US and sell for minimum of ~$6,500 and since 2020 or so, the 2 I have seen sell on Gunbroker went for over $8k.

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2023 at 10:22 AM, BamBam said:

I own a Genesis Arms Gen-12 shotgun. It is solid build quality and to me is superior vs. other mag-fed shotguns such as the VEPR 12 or M26 MASS

Press the barrel up against anything, and that short recoil reciprocating barrel system won't work.  I've had one fail just from leaning into it while the barrel rested on a barrier.

• Upvote 2