Benelli M4 6 position Recoil Tube

RxArms

Hey guys,

finally worked out all the details on this, I will be moving ahead on it.  Target price will be between 150-180USD.

CNC machined, black nitride finish for sure, possibly cerekote also if tolerances allow for it.

I’ll be updating this page as progress moves along, I’m probably around 2-3 months out.

www.rxarms.com if u would like to notified when it is in stock.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

37 minutes ago, Milspec said:

Cool!  I'd probably side with the nitride over the cerakote.

Nitride will be happening, but in addition to nitride, I also may Cerekote it.  (so both is a possibility).  However, nitride does provide a better lubicity surface, which may be more suitable for this recoil tube.  It will be more of a black shade though, darker than the current greyish OEM.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

Exactly, cerakoting those extensions is not the best idea. The tolerances are so tight that that couple of microns of coating makes the stock harder to adjust. 

I agree with all the comments, thanks for the input everyone I’ll likely stay away from cerekoting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Metal has been ordered.  Don't want to get too optimistic on pricing as I am still waiting on the cost of making the spring retaining ring.  But is looking like will be less than $150 USD at the moment which was my goal.  But I wanted your guys' opinion on something.  Was thinking about laser engraving the stock positions on the flat portion.  Rough idea attached.

Yay or Nay?

Engraving idea.jpg

Edited by RxArms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

On 4/28/2022 at 6:18 PM, RxArms said:

Metal has been ordered.  Don't want to get too optimistic on pricing as I am still waiting on the cost of making the spring retaining ring.  But is looking like will be less than $150 USD at the moment which was my goal.  But I wanted your guys' opinion on something.  Was thinking about laser engraving the stock positions on the flat portion.  Rough idea attached.

Yay or Nay?

Engraving idea.jpg

with that many different positions some indicator is probably necessary.  looks good.  i wasn't planning on getting one, but i'm reconsidering now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Got the initial prototypes today, scheduled for production in about 3 weeks… slides very nice and is tight on the notches.  Complete with “drain holes” for a punch to get the spring out.  some surface finishing aspects will be improved for final run (even though these look pretty good).

the wall thickness is so thin in some areas I may not be able to do black nitride.  At least not a full bath (usually 90 minutes).  I might do a short bath of 7 minutes or so to at least get a microscopic layer of corrosion resistance, then hot black oxide after.  I’ll post more pics once I get it on the gun and do some function tests.

image.jpg

Edited by RxArms
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, rubicon20032003 said:

How you going to import them in us if over a $100.Or doesn’t recoil matter 

I’ve done the homework, here is the pricing for $138 list:

• 99 USD value (under the $100 ATF limit) Minor Firearms Component M4 6 Position Recoil Tube (Customs Label “Shotgun Accessories” HST Code 9305.20.80 Found in Chapter 93)
  • $39 USD Value for 5 pack internal retaining springs (Customs Label “Screws Nuts and Bolts” HST Code 7318.13.00 found in Chapter 73)
  • $20 shipping and handling is extra
Edited by RxArms
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2022 at 8:02 AM, RxArms said:

Got the initial prototypes today, scheduled for production in about 3 weeks… slides very nice and is tight on the notches.  Complete with “drain holes” for a punch to get the spring out.  some surface finishing aspects will be improved for final run (even though these look pretty good).

the wall thickness is so thin in some areas I may not be able to do black nitride.  At least not a full bath (usually 90 minutes).  I might do a short bath of 7 minutes or so to at least get a microscopic layer of corrosion resistance, then hot black oxide after.  I’ll post more pics once I get it on the gun and do some function tests.

image.jpg

is it thinner than the stock recoil tube? Maybe an armor lube coating as it does add some lubricity… though I imagine it would be much more than cerakote  

5 minutes ago, Scout_21 said:

is it thinner than the stock recoil tube? Maybe an armor lube coating as it does add some lubricity… though I imagine it would be much more than cerakote  

Same wall thickness but I’ve been talking to the nitride guys and they have concerns about wall thickness

ill be do a black oxide for sure, hot bath (dimensions remain the same), still working out details for nitride if I decide to.  

cerekote, no good, Tolerances do not allow for any error or addition.

Even cooler would be a custom option. Me? I love 12.25 and 14.25 (under NODS), but others may want different. Maybe a body armor and a non, etc. I think it would be super Gucci if you could do custom LOP and number of settings for people, by request, non refundable pre-pay, understanding that it will take machine and coating time prior to delivery. Otherwise most settings just go unused once the user picks their setting.

12 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

Even cooler would be a custom option. Me? I love 12.25 and 14.25 (under NODS), but others may want different. Maybe a body armor and a non, etc. I think it would be super Gucci if you could do custom LOP and number of settings for people, by request, non refundable pre-pay, understanding that it will take machine and coating time prior to delivery. Otherwise most settings just go unused once the user picks their setting.

Ill measure the LOP for the 6 positions this week..  would be way too expensive to do custom

3 hours ago, EzGoingKev said:

What about having them DLC coated? 

I have not used these guys myself but were recommended from a friend that would not recommend them if they did not do good work.

https://www.instagram.com/richterprecisioninc/

I’ll have to look into it.

at this point, it is looking like hot black oxide, which does meet gov mil spec.  But the PVD low temp coating is interesting thanks for posting.

here is the bigger issue with hot application coatings.  Any temp that exceeds the 400F temper for the hardened notches, it will reduce the hardness of the heat treat I did.

not only am I limited in temperature I am limited in surface growth also.  I’d love to do cerekote but I’m not willing to risk any tolerance problems.

so after lots of exploring, i believe i’ve settled on the hot black oxide bath for now.  Which is one of the only options that will keep the application temp where I need it (bath is max 290F), and also not add any surface growth.

Edited by RxArms
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 6:32 AM, iamrt said:

I'm not terribly familiar with NP3 but would that be an option or even worthwhile for an application like this?

I can’t find any NP3 providers in Canada.  So unfortunately not an option. Thanks for the thought!

yes I believe NP3 could work, but it’s pricey.

Edited by RxArms

On 6/3/2022 at 4:49 PM, RxArms said:

I’ve done the homework, here is the pricing for $138 list:

• 99 USD value (under the $100 ATF limit) Minor Firearms Component M4 6 Position Recoil Tube (Customs Label “Shotgun Accessories” HST Code 9305.20.80 Found in Chapter 93)
  • $39 USD Value for 5 pack internal retaining springs (Customs Label “Screws Nuts and Bolts” HST Code 7318.13.00 found in Chapter 73)
  • $20 shipping and handling is extra

Technically can't you just price shipping and handling separately for each item, regardless? Say, you could sell me a widget that cost you $399 to make for $99 + $399 S&H and "inventory management logistics"?

3 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

Technically can't you just price shipping and handling separately for each item, regardless? Say, you could sell me a widget that cost you $399 to make for $99 + $399 S&H and "inventory management logistics"?

Yes it had crossed my mind, but I’d like to keep things as realistic as I can.  But ya it has crossed my mind to use shipping/handling/processing as a means to increase the price.  With all this said, for this batch, I’m happy with the price I’m able to offer it at.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1