Benelli M4 6 position Recoil Tube

RxArms

I just took a bit of a deep dive into QPQ finish.  And from what I can see, briley seems to be skipping the notch heat treat, and instead relying on QPQ finish (quench polish quench), which is a type of case hardening (I am only coming to this conclusion based on the info on their website)

QPQ case harden depth ranges from 0.04mm - 0.45mm.   And boasts a 60-70 Rockwell hardness from what I can see online.   

I am deciding to go with an actual heat treat on the notches, precise and repeatable technology via computer programming, which will give a case hardened depth 2-3x that of QPQ, of 1mm-1.5mm 55-60RC.  For me, I value depth of the hardened case.  when we are talking about anything above 55 RC it is all very hard.  PVD finish I am going with has a hardness of 3300 HV.  Which I am guessing is over 100RC.  I can’t find a conversion table that goes that high.. this finish is only 3 microns thick.

Those are the major differences when it comes to heat treat and surface finish.

Edited by RxArms
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 7/19/2022 at 10:39 PM, RxArms said:

I just took a bit of a deep dive into QPQ finish.  And from what I can see, briley seems to be skipping the notch heat treat, and instead relying on QPQ finish (quench polish quench), which is a type of case hardening (I am only coming to this conclusion based on the info on their website)

QPQ case harden depth ranges from 0.04mm - 0.45mm.   And boasts a 60-70 Rockwell hardness from what I can see online.   

I am deciding to go with an actual heat treat on the notches, precise and repeatable technology via computer programming, which will give a case hardened depth 2-3x that of QPQ, of 1mm-1.5mm 55-60RC.  For me, I value depth of the hardened case.  when we are talking about anything above 55 RC it is all very hard.  PVD finish I am going with has a hardness of 3300 HV.  Which I am guessing is over 100RC.  I can’t find a conversion table that goes that high.. this finish is only 3 microns thick.

Years ago, I had a p226 elite st worked over by Bruce Gray. The whole gun was done in QPQ. Shade at what became Rubber City Armory handled it. 

The barrel hood has not deformed. There are a few tiny chips from the hard angle, where sigs normally deform (if you work with them,  you're familiar with p226 barrel hood deformationself limiting, as normal). QPQ hardened it. This is a 357Sig, btw. So in my experience,  yes, QPQ hardens things pretty extreme.

That said...I really like what you're doing. If the oem 3 position did not meet my needs, or I had a 2 position, Id buy yours over oem. 

Edited by Unobtanium

9 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

Years ago, I had a p226 elite st worked over by Bruce Gray. The whole gun was done in QPQ. Shade at what became Rubber City Armory handled it. 

The barrel hood has not deformed. There are a few tiny chips from the hard angle, where sigs normally deform (if you work with them,  you're familiar with p226 barrel hood deformationself limiting, as normal). QPQ hardened it. This is a 357Sig, btw. So in my experience,  yes, QPQ hardens things pretty extreme.

That said...I really like what you're doing. If the oem 3 position did not meet my needs, or I had a 2 position, Id buy yours over oem. 

The supplier that does black nitride for me, they also offer a QPQ after checking with them.  There are so many factors at play that have crossed my mind, and it brings me back to one of my concerns of black nitriding, which is thru nitriding of the very thin wall section on this part causing embrittlement and potentially failure.  So I won’t be switching to any QPQ..

*shrug* maybe I’ve over thought the whole thing, but that is usually how I do things.

Edited by RxArms
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Small update.  After a long 4-5 months since I initially started this project, I am happy to say, the tubes are machined and completed.  Im hoping to get them off for heat treating next week, then PVD finishing thereafter, slowly but surely...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2022 at 8:39 AM, RxArms said:

that is very informative man i love this information that you shared 

• 3 months later...

Hard to believe it’s been 8 months since I dove into this.  Learned a lot along the way, and I truly believe the steps I’ve taken on this tube makes it the best on the market.

Finally, the tubes are on the truck back to me, completed and ready to go. Hopefully next week I’ll have them in hand and start shipping out to back orders before listing them as “in stock”

I’ll be testing each tube to confirm fitment on my M4s before packing them to ship out so I have a long few weeks ahead of me :)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have mentioned this in the instructions on my website, but wanted to make a note here.  The Rx 6 position tube should be installed leaving around 1.5 threads exposed in the reciever.  In my experience this is how OEM looks before it is removed.  And my tube is designed for this. 

177372B5-BF40-41E0-9CA0-67477CA220C9.jpeg

Edited by RxArms
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, brightt said:

keeping tabs on this, may have to get on eventually just for the option, any potential np3 or similar finish to match an np3 h20 11711 m4?

If you have a pre 2020 Benelli m4, then a titanium cerekote SHOULD be okay.  Anything after 2020 Benelli new buttstock have slightly tighter tolerances, and I do not think cerekote will work.  

but be prepared for cerekote to cause too much surface buildup to make the tube unusable.

to answer your question I will not be offering this item in NP3.

Edited by RxArms
  • Upvote 1

Got mine installed in 30 min… a lot faster when you don’t have to deal with the factory loctite. Tip: lock your stock onto tube position #1 when threading the tube into the receiver. Keep turning until the stock won’t clear the receiver. Back off the tube until the stock is oriented correctly. That’s the final tube installation depth.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 1/1/2023 at 1:39 AM, David71 said:

Are there any good 'step one' instructional videos for the assembly of the skeleton stock? I have the fixed, factory stock and was able to remove it from the tube but I am now unable to get it locked back in place.

Resolved. Tricky but solved.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 12:00 AM, kilyung said:

Got mine installed in 30 min… a lot faster when you don’t have to deal with the factory loctite. Tip: lock your stock onto tube position #1 when threading the tube into the receiver. Keep turning until the stock won’t clear the receiver. Back off the tube until the stock is oriented correctly. That’s the final tube installation depth.

Has anyone done this without a vice? Just curious if its possible as I dont have one. Need to get one installed on my bench.

Also wondered if its better to use a propane torch or a heat gun, is one quicker than the other?

I just received by 6 position tube and it is a really nice piece. I actually had purchased the 3 position benelli piece but decided to sell it to use this one. I also have RX bolt release lever and its awesome as well. Good Job man!!

Edited by gregnauman
  • Upvote 1